Data Link Problem PC to PC

Derek 14:53 09 Jul 03

I have two working PC's on the desk both running ME with plenty of capacity and running well.
I decided to get into linking the two, went to a local fair and bought a switchbox and numerous leads so that I could use 2 PC's and one each mouse, keyboard and big monitor.
It all works perfectly and I'm very impressed.

I've now put both PC's back to standard for the time being because I want to try 'data linking'.

I've bought a box called "USB Data Link / USB Turbo Link" for £12 and I think its made by "Prolific". In it I have one cable USB to USB which has a hard blister in the middle that contains a small circuit board, and a disc with the PC drivers and manual.

I've done exactly what the manual says by connect the cable to both machines, I then go through the procedure to load the drivers and eventually on the screen I have an icon which loads up the programme.
On the upper part of the screen I have the contents of my hard disc and the bottom half is blank.

I select Connect and then Remote and, a box appears that says "The remote connection doesn't exist. Open the remote machine anyway ?"

I hasten to add that I've loaded the other PC with the same software.

Can anyone please assist because eventually I would like to link and swap data between PC's and have only one set of peripherals on the office desk.

shadowcatcher 15:55 09 Jul 03

Is the usb port enable in the bios of the other machine and is the usb root driver in the hardware setup of the non responding machine. Cheaper method, parallel to parallel lead and fast pc linker.

Derek 16:40 09 Jul 03

Yes all USB's are in order and operational.
Not quite sure what you mean by 'para to para' and 'fast PC link'. Could you tell me more ?

Jamie.com 16:45 09 Jul 03

a good website to look at is click here

recap 18:06 09 Jul 03

Parallel to Parallel can be done but, it is very slow. The quickest and probabely the cheapest way is to network them. If you don't already have network cards installed, install one in each machine and link them with a cross over cable (RJ45). This is a faster method of transfering data between two machines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…