Data left on HDD after partitioning/formatting

Laser157 21:43 31 Jan 04

I have recently built a computer for my Father. I have installed the HDD from his previous machine (30Gb IBM) as a slave drive for back-ups. After partitioning and formatting the drive shows 9.99 Gb of data when partioned as one drive and about half this in one partition only when split into two equal drives. Can anyone tell me what this data might be? Do I need to do a zero-writing exercise to clear it?

DieSse 23:40 31 Jan 04

If you've really partitioned and reformatted, then no data at all should show up.

I suggest you try repeating the exercise.

Chegs ® 23:46 31 Jan 04

9.99 Gb of data...

Is this hdd from a machine that had its previous OS available via Recovery/Restore operation? If so,it could be the previous OS,to remove this from one of my previous pc's took the use of Ranish Partition Manager as the format command from an installation cd didn't touch the "hidden" partition created by the mfg.

DieSse 00:17 01 Feb 04

I don't think it's a hidden partition - otherwise it wouldn't be seen?

Laser157 07:37 01 Feb 04

Thanks for the contributions. I did repeat the partitioning and formatting several times without clearing the problem. However I ran scandisk thorough checks overnight which showed errors which it corrected. I then defragmented, which took no time at all. Now I have the full drive back. I can't explain why errors were left after formatting, but the drive was previously a boot drive and had Windows ME on it. The boot drive had become corrupted during a software installation at the end ofits formaer life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…