DATA Execution Prevention ??? HELP

Daveson 21:36 13 Jan 05

Hello all. I have just formated my HDD on my laptop and i backed up all my video footage from my video cam, and also the music that i have put on to the HDD from CD's on to a HDD that is connected via USB 2. Now when i go to open them on the USB HDD or if i copy them back to my laptop i get this message all the time. Can i turn this feature off at all because its not letting me use the video footage properly...

Thanks for your help.

JoeC 21:39 13 Jan 05
  VoG II 21:40 13 Jan 05
  Daveson 21:46 13 Jan 05

Thanks for the links there. I will have a read through.

Daveson 21:55 13 Jan 05

I wish i could turn it off as i dont really want to go through each file excluding it from this message... but if it comes down to that then i better get started. ;o)

JoeC 22:02 13 Jan 05

according to Microsoft - perhaps I am misreading it ?

Quote:

If you are logged on as an administrator, you can manually configure DEP to switch between the OptIn and OptOut policies by using the Data Execution Prevention tab in System Properties. The following procedure describes how to manually configure DEP on the computer: 1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
3. On the Data Execution Prevention tab, use one of the following procedures: • Click Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only to select the OptIn policy.
• Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select to select the OptOut policy, and then click Add to add the programs that you do not want to use the DEP feature.

4. Click OK two times

AndySD 22:04 13 Jan 05

click here and scroll right down near the bottom it looks like you can set it for the aplications you use with the files.

Daveson 22:29 13 Jan 05

Ah ha, got it sorted fingers crossed. Went into the setting for the Data Exexcution Prevention and clicked on Turn on DEP for all progs except those i select... under that is a check box for Windows Explores - so i guess that it turns it off for the whole in windows. I havent had anything come up yet.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5