Data Execution Prevention

DMQ 16:42 PM 07 May 11

I have Windows XP (professional) Service pack 3.

I have downloaded some photos from a flash disc but when I try do anything with them I get the Data Execution Prevention message saying a problem has been encountered and the program will be closed down. In my System settings the DEP is set to 'turn on DEP for essential Windows programs only'.

How do I overcome this and allow me to access the photos?

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 PM 07 May 11
  DMQ 19:02 PM 07 May 11

Thanks for the link but as my computer is configured to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only, it says that you cannot make an exception. Is there a way to overcome this?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:45 PM 07 May 11

What program are you trying to open them with?

Have you scanned them for malware and viruses?

DMQ 10:17 AM 08 May 11

They are just photos so it's just the usual Windows Picture Viewer.

I've checked for viruses and malaware but none found.

letsgetrdy 00:28 AM 09 May 11

Personally I turn off DEP on every new build as over the years it's caused problems, but never stopped problems. So many conflicts....... so outdated.

letsgetrdy 00:31 AM 09 May 11

If you wish to turn off DEP then many tutorials can be found by googling "turn off dep" :-p

Don't worry, your anti-virus has your back, plus you know yourself that the pictures are OK. If theres a problem involving DEP, 99% of the time DEP IS the problem.

DMQ 15:22 PM 10 May 11

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. I went into DEP settings and selected 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except...' and ticked Windows. That enabled me to access the photos.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…