Data Execution Prevention

winksey 13:53 11 Sep 08

When I try to play an A.V.I video in W.M.P I get the message W.M.P has stopped working, then I close the program and I get the message, To help protect your computer D.E.P has closed W.M.P click to learn more. It was giving me the message that Com Surrogate was the problem but I have added this to the exceptions in the D.E.P and it still does not play. Can Anybody help me with this problem please, the video's were taken with a cannon camera and used to play in W.M.P but not anymore, is there a way of turning off the D.E.P. I am running Windows Vista 32 bit and W.M.P 11.

BurrWalnut 16:11 11 Sep 08

Open an elevated command prompt by clicking the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff (note the four spaces) and press Enter.

To turn it back on, change AlwaysOff to AlwaysOn.

winksey 19:42 11 Sep 08

Thanx BurrWalnut that did the trick had to download something called ffdshow as well but its working ok now, should I leave the D.E.P off or switch it back on.

BurrWalnut 06:47 12 Sep 08

You could experiment, on/off.

highside 15:50 26 Nov 08

Is the action of adding an exception reversable?
I have started to get win explorer closing down when I am using Vista Windows Photo gallery and I believe it is a com suurogate problem but I feel nervous about playing with DEP. Dont understand why this should suddenly start happening, read somewhere that Nero can cause it but I don't have nero. Sorry if I should have started a new thread and not used someone elses, thought I would ask as you two seem to know about this subject.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017