data execution prevention

picklsey 07:22 11 Apr 07

when i try to open the video,s i have taken over the years with my camcorder windows explorer open saying there is a problem and needs to close.i have traced it to the above.i have saved these video,s in avi format as there is rather a lot and it is only when i try to open an avi file i have this problem.they are saved to my external h/drive and they play without a problem on other comps.any ideas please.

xppro/sp2

moorie- 07:35 11 Apr 07

xp home not sure about pro
if it is dep,you can put an exception in,
my computer /right click/properties/advanced/performance settings/dep

seems strange though that its not dep on other comps?

Technotiger 07:39 11 Apr 07

Hi, in DEP as shown by moorie- put the check-dot in "Turn on DEP for essential Windows Programs and Services only."

picklsey 07:55 11 Apr 07

thanks for the help on this the add and remove buttons are grayed out.Turn on DEP for essential Windows Programs that,s the one that,s selected tried changing it made no difference.i tried right clicking one of the files to see if i could get it to play through a different player,but as soon as i click on any of the files windows explorer jumps in saying there is a problem and needs to close.thanks again.

Technotiger 08:05 11 Apr 07

Hmm, I would assume that at some time you have been able to run these files on your pc - if this is the case, then try a System Restore back to when they did run ok.

plus, if you external drive is USB, try a different USB port.

picklsey 08:09 11 Apr 07

yes they did run ok tried the system restore.tried different ports also firewire.thanks again

moorie- 08:17 11 Apr 07

just a thought are you trying to play the file through the player or from the external drive.
it may be an old file extension/ library type issue.
try playing it from the drive,thats why it may work on other comps
just a guess though julius

moorie- 08:20 11 Apr 07

this a link to reindex media player to correct movement fom your internal to external drive,not sure which player you use
click here

picklsey 08:24 11 Apr 07

thanks again i transfered a couple of the files to my cdrive still the same.now this gets even stranger they play without a problem on vista,which i have on dual boot.been trying to sort this out for over a week now.way past doing my head in stage.lol.

moorie- 08:24 11 Apr 07

sorry picklsey not julius

picklsey 08:31 11 Apr 07

i use windows media player tried the download but they want payment to use the program.call me what you like lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…