Data error (cyclic redundancy check) in Win XP

Arif-205907 03:20 05 Mar 04

I have a high spec Sony Desktop with XP home. All was well until one dark day i installed Norton Systemworks. My PC has been ill ever since and runs like a sick old man. Un-installing has made no difference. However, i have just lived with it. My pc has also since this time never been able to get a windows update - error when trying to connect to the site. Microsoft have been unable to fix this!

This week i wanted to install some sync software for my new sonyerricsson phone (P900). It would not install, error message :"could not load C:\program files\\ctor.dll"

I was advised to remove service pack 1a and re-install. Howeverm because my machine cannot connect to windows upadte, i couldn'y re-install. I then read that a particalur hotfix could be stopiing my sync software installtion. So i removed it and thenmy pc would not start. I spent a whole day with recivery console replacing the corrupted dll's.

When i got the thing up and running again, i proceeded to copy everthing on my c drive onto my D partition, in prep for a re-install of XP on the c drive (fresh start).

I now keep getting the data error CRC when copying some files from C to D.

Billy911 08:47 05 Mar 04

I don't know much about this although I do know that compressed files can cause CRC data errors. Try a google search for the error message that you're getting. Also send an e-mail with your problem to [email protected] They should be able to help as they are a UK computer magzine and very professional. Technical problems seem to be their speciality. Just make sure you put your name & address and PC spec in the e-mail as you may get printed in the next issue of the mag. It won't cost you a penny.

Nellie2 08:50 05 Mar 04

I'm a bit out of my depth on this one but I have had a look around and a CRC error seems to cover a lot of things... here is a link with a bit more of an explanation. click here

What did interest me was the fact that Windows update was failing... I have a good site here with some tips on click here Even if this wasn't your particular problem i would suggest you try step 3 anyway.

Good luck and hang on in there... I am sure someone a bit more knowledgeable than me will come along with some helpful advice soon!! :)

Sometimes the CRC errors can be releated to BIOS, but i very much doubt that.

These may well have been deleted but have you tried to do a system restore? Other thing did system works install properly?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…