Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check) on DVD

Axl666 14:08 07 Nov 06

Hi,
I am trying to copy Audio Files from a Verbatim DVD+R 4.7GB disc to my C drive.
It starts by copying them over fine but then comes up with Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)message about halfway through copying over.

I have heard there are good CD check software with recovery of damaged or corrupted files.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get these files onto my hard drive?

Kind Regards,
Dave.

sean-278262 14:27 07 Nov 06

CRC errors are pretty much the end for some files. Dont hold too much hope to getting all the files back working.
click here

Have a look at that. Not sure if it will do much for you but you now have experienced the wonders of modern day computing. My advice is in future you back up everything twice.

€dstowe 14:56 07 Nov 06

Try putting the disk into a stand alone DVD player and take the analogue output from that into an analogue input (sound card if they're just audio files) on your computer.

Axl666 15:44 07 Nov 06

Hi,
I have tried the CD Check software which scanned my DVD, it started off fine and then started getting Win32 Data Error Cyclic Redundancy Error files, is there any way to recover these files?

Initially, I thought maybe I had my drive speed set on too fast as it is about 3.7GB of data on the DVD disc I am trying to transfer, but after this scan it seems the files on the DVD may be corrupted?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Cheers,
Dave.

rodriguez 15:55 07 Nov 06

I'd say the DVD is either corrupted, dirty or scratched. If the disc was dirty when it was recorded, then bits of information wouldn't have been written properly. Have a look and see if there are any dark spots or patches in the recorded area. If it's just dirty, you could try cleaning it and if it's scratched you could try a scratch repair kit (click here)

dazwm 15:59 07 Nov 06

I had the same problem. The only way I managed to retrieve nearly but not all files was by copying one by one and not all at once. It may need ejecting the disc every now and then for it to work, but it does! Then back them up to a nice brand new disc.

Axl666 16:06 07 Nov 06

Hi,
ok cheers, I will try your suggestions,
I appreciate all the advice,
thanks,
Dave

rodriguez 16:19 07 Nov 06

If you have another DVD drive you could also try copying some files with that to see if it reads them any better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017