Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

cyberphobic 13:31 24 May 04

I am trying to load Windows XP Pro on to my laptop which is currently using Windows 98 SE. Everything is fine until the actual installation begins. I the get the above message and the install is aborted. The Microsoft website suggests it is a problem with the HDD and checkdisk should be run, The PC won't let me do that but suggests Scandisk instead which I have run with no errors, I have also defragged with no no errors, I don't think there is a problem with the CD, does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

spikeychris 13:43 24 May 04

Although you don't think its a problem with the CD The Data error (cyclic redundancy check) error can occur if the source setup CD is defective. Do you have another partition to try the insulation on?

spikeychris 13:44 24 May 04

insulation...ha!

InsTallation

AndySD 13:50 24 May 04

Try going into the bios and changing the cd from DMA to PIO

SANTOS7 13:51 24 May 04

haveing scoured through some other forums there is a sugestion that you may hvae problems with the optical drive you are useing. all a bit vague but if you have another drive try loading disc from that one or a lens cleaner may help

SANTOS7 13:55 24 May 04

click here this sort of backs up my theory

cyberphobic 21:29 24 May 04

Have checcked everythimg else, guess it must be the CD then - thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…