Data on a Disk

StevieB77 18:49 11 Jan 04

I have a CD that has various documents (Word and Excel) burnt on it. However I can not open any of them and when I try and copy them to my computer it says 'Cannot read from the file source or disk'. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Djohn 19:38 11 Jan 04

When you first burned the files to the CD, did you close the CD, or leave it open for further additions? If so, I don't think the files will not show up until the CD has been finalised. j.

R4 19:54 11 Jan 04

Here is a CD check program :-click here

If you have EasyCD/Direct CD there is a utility in DirectCD that can fix a CD.

TommyRed 20:01 11 Jan 04

I have burnt a multi-session disc with all the programs I might need or friends might need, mainly picked up from here. I only closed the session today but have used the programs from the disk on numerous occasions. So I think you can use the files before it's finalised, it may be audio that can't be played. TR

R4 20:05 11 Jan 04

you can see files before finalising if you have the driver loaded ( I can't remember which one) or if you use EasyCD/DirectCD running DirectCD allows you to read the files OK

TommyRed 21:05 11 Jan 04

I am using Nero 6 but started the disk on version 5.5, I have never loaded any drivers, it just worked and I must have added to it 25 times or more. I don't need Belarc Advisor on my system but if I do I just install it from the CD and uninstall when I'm finished. It keeps my system free of conflicts I reckon. TR

R4 18:42 12 Jan 04

If you use Nero InCD should allow you to read and write to a CD without it being finalised, this usually is run on startup anyway but I believe there was a restriction that InCd would only read cd's created by itself.

As a matter of interest who mentioned Belarc Advisor

TommyRed 19:22 12 Jan 04

It was just an example of one of the programs I'd burned to the cd. I could just as easily have said 'Aida 32' or'HijackThis'. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple