Data backup

Jagadi 23:44 05 Jan 06

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop with harddrive capacity of 40GB. I bought a new hard drive and now I want to fix this new hard drive into my laptop. How to take the data from 40GB hard drive to my new hard drive? Do I need to install Windows operating system again in the new hard drive? Or could someone guide how to approach on this?

Appreciate your help,

Thanks and Regards,
Jagadi

madPentium 00:13 06 Jan 06

Personally I think you went about this the wrong way. In order to backup, you need to put your data onto something external to the machine. What if your laptop breaks down? how will you fire up the hard drive to get your data off?
Do you have a 2.5 to 3.5 ide adaptor to connect the new laptop hard drive into a pc to recover data?
The easiest solution would have been an external usb hard drive. That's if you need to backup your whole system using norton ghost or something. However, if it's just data, I'm sure a dvd writer would have been sufficient. The data in both these cases is very easy to restore onto any pc or other laptop.

madPentium 00:17 06 Jan 06

sorry, I reread your post and misunderstood.

Yes, if you replace your hard drive, you need to reinstall windows. Also, you can backup your data in someones pc from the old one with an adaptor, or network the laptop to another machine before removing the old hard drive.

You could use norton ghost to backup your total hard drive to cds/dvds. Then restore them onto the new hard drive. However, if your new hard drive is 80gig, it will automatically be configured as 40gig, and 40gig unused which you will have to format and use as another drive.
Unless you use partition magic or something to then convert them to one big drive again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017