.dat files disaster (cobolt I think) for you gurus

spanneress 14:59 27 Jan 05

Hi

I have been given a PC in desperation for a friend who's life work is on it (groan) Win95, (PI, 32Mb RAM etc) running an old DB programme written in what I assume is cobolt (VB front end). The app stopped being able to query or retrieve the underlying data so he sent it into a 'local high street expert' who seem to have written some DOS commands which make the DB delete all underlying data files everytime it is executed.

I have loaded a data retrieval app which has found the missing deleted files - which are displayed as .DAT files, but some fool has associated them with Adobe Reader and I cannot seem to open them in an understandable format. I was going to use the data source and knock him up an Access DB - the chap is elderly and heartbroken.

Is there anyone who can help? I have tried various file viewers and all I get is ASCII code..he did not back up, the CDROM wont work and neither do the USB ports so am having to transfer by floppy any files needed.

AndySD 15:03 27 Jan 05

Any Idea of the name of the app?

spanneress 15:07 27 Jan 05

It hasn't really got a name - it is bespoke and was written years ago for him and his pals for historic buildings! It just pulls out data on what historic building has what feature and the year it was built, architect etc.... it is actually called 'builiding team' if that helps!

Think it was probably written by an old enthusiast looking at it - pre Access2 days!

Sethhaniel 15:16 27 Jan 05

freebie 'Restoration Version 2.5.14' is good
and restores with the correct extension - some retrieve all deleted files but put *.dat extensions on them.
Could try altering the extensions to .TXT etc to see if they will open - also right clicking the files and selecting properties you can change the prog that opens them

spanneress 15:25 27 Jan 05

Cheers for that - if it fits on a floppy I will try it - have tried re-associating the files with a more appropriate program but no go.

spanneress 20:02 27 Jan 05

bump

VoG II 20:04 27 Jan 05

Drive Rescue click here is also good and will fit on a floppy.

VoG II 20:06 27 Jan 05

Pray that Heefie reads this. He is/was a Cobol programmer.

spanneress 20:34 27 Jan 05

<tips hat>

As always monsieur VoG.......

Ta very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…