.dat files

curlylad 12:22 16 Jun 04

Win 98SE , after clearing the history on the PC , how do I get rid of the .dat files ?

Graham ® 12:35 16 Jun 04

I don't think you can, or would want to. They are part of the systems index.

curlylad 12:59 16 Jun 04

I am sure I have read somewhere that there is a way of doing it but can't remember where.As for wanting to do it well I think I should because I am getting rid of as much junk as possible on it as I am giving it to a friend who will have it as their first PC.If you buy a book case off someone , you don't want all their crusty old books left on it with a range of titles and subjects that are of no interest to you at all .

VoG II 13:04 16 Jun 04

CleanUp! click here

Graham ® 13:42 16 Jun 04

Ahh, but!

'This file is in use while Windows is running, so CleanUp! cannot delete it immediately. It does however get deleted when you restart Windows. During the Windows restart, Internet Explorer/Windows Explorer recreates this file if it does not exist. The same is true of the Cookies\Index.dat file (and one or two others)'

curlylad 13:51 16 Jun 04

Does this get rid of .dat's as standard or do you have to add the extra options to do this , and if so which boxes do I tick ?
PS I have been told by a colleague here that this works
1)Restart PC (Pressing F8)

2)Choose 'Safe mode with command prompt'

3)Log on as administrator and if asked enter password

4)Type "CD\" (without ") press Enter

5)Type "del index.dat/s" (without ") press Enter

6)Type "Shutdown-r" to restart

He tells me that this only works for XP though but WARNING before anyone tries it , wait for someone to confirm it as I wont take responsibility for any problems.
I am merely posting this to have someone confirm or refute it's claim of purging .dat's.
If this does do the job on XP then surely there must be a way of doing it on Win98.

byfordr 14:02 16 Jun 04
  Tog 14:20 16 Jun 04

Look in Rename the content.ie5 folder, restart the machine, delete the folder you renamed it to.

Tog 14:21 16 Jun 04

Ignore the "Look in " bit. Too many foaming ales at lunch time.

Graham ® 14:36 16 Jun 04

Found more info on .dat files. Apparantly these files still contain your history after you delete them. Didn't know that. So these clean up tools delete the .dat when Windows re-starts, and then Windows builds up a clean one.

click here

rogertjj 14:45 16 Jun 04

this is a good article on the index.dat files click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…