Dat files

denali 10:24 07 Dec 03

Is it safe for me to remove all my dat. files?
I know there was a thread on this a while back when someone wanted to regain disk space. I was just browsing at the time and did not really take it in! 98se.

Jester2K II 10:29 07 Dec 03

er no. At least two of them will be your registry and you don't want to delete that.

Have you tried any tools like Supercleaner click here?? It'll find loads of stuff you didn't know was there just right for deleting...

Gongoozler 10:36 07 Dec 03

Hi denali. Dat files are data files. The problem with giving a general answer to how important they are is that software programmers use the dat extensions for different things. While one dat file may just be a temporary data store for logging a process that has been completed, another one might contain vital information that needs to be used every time a process is run. If you have dat files in a folder you know is no longer needed, then you could delete them, but unless you really know what you are doing, leave them alone.

denali 11:02 07 Dec 03

Jester2K II
Gongoozler

Thank you both for your quick response.
I think I will follow the maxim "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Thanks again

pj123 13:08 07 Dec 03

If you are talking about the index.dat files in your Cookies and Temporary Internet Files folders (which get bigger and bigger each time you log on to the internet) then yes you can delete them (but only from DOS) They won't delete to zero though, the minimum for cookies is 16kb and the minimum for Temp Int files is 32kb. I usually delete mine when they get to about 2mb. NOTE: If you have any sites that remember your details (like PCA Forum) then once you have deleted the .dat files you would need to enter your ID and Password again the next time you log in. I have written a batch file that will do this for you (for win98se) if you want a copy email me and I will send it to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…