dare I open this attachment?

mco 19:46 14 Apr 05

Got an email today with an attachment from someone I don't know - but I think it might actually be genuine and important - I have the free AVG anti virus thingy - dare I risk opening the attachment to find out (I don't want my pc wrecked!) or not?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:55 14 Apr 05

Let's put it this way, I open all attachments and trust AVG...I have never had a problem and AVG has deleted any dodgy ones. It is up to you and I do not condone such radical behaviour ;-)))

G

mattyc_92 19:56 14 Apr 05

Well, what is the e-mail about??? Why do you think it is "Genuine"???

Jak_1 19:59 14 Apr 05

AVG does a good job of scanning attachments, it has never failed me yet! What file extension does the attachment have, this will give you a good clue as to how safe it is to open.

^wave^ 20:02 14 Apr 05

i can only say i have never had a problem with avg.

961 20:03 14 Apr 05

If you are using Outlook Express right click on the e-mail and select Properties-details and message source

You'll be able to read the message.

If you then decide you want to open the attachment then AVG can scan that for viruses so far as I am aware

If you don't like the look of the message then just delete the whole lot

Furthark 20:06 14 Apr 05

Why not email the sender and ask if it's genuine?

woodchip 20:07 14 Apr 05

The answer Should be NO. We cannot accept responsibility for you opening Mail and Attachments

mco 20:08 14 Apr 05

Yep! I opened it, nasty monster appeared, told me it had a virus and deleted it - well done AVG!

PA28 20:08 14 Apr 05

isn't that a bit like asking an intruder if he's a burglar?

mco 20:08 14 Apr 05

Yep! I opened it, nasty monster appeared, told me it had a virus and deleted it - well done AVG!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…