danger net bios port open

canard 20:26 21 Jul 03

One of my descendants has been surfing in all the wrong places and I worry that something nasty has been dumped on my PC. So I tried the Sygate scan and it tells me that my net bios port is open and that fearful things will result. How does one close the net bios port? Is it a practical thing to do? Or is this a scaremongering thingy like WMD in 45 mins?

canard 20:50 21 Jul 03

While waiting for you gurus to put me out of my misery I've done the Shields Up probe which says that netbios port 139 is closed and everything is just great! Am now completely confused by 2 conflicting reports.Olease what should/should not be done?

VoG II 21:57 21 Jul 03

Whilst trying to help somebody on here to block Port 139 I have stupidly managed to open mine!

This is a bookmark so I can easily find this thread so I can tell you how I fixed it. What version of Windows do you have?

canard 22:20 21 Jul 03

Win 98SE

User-312386 22:21 21 Jul 03

click here and test your ports and it will have the fix for probing

VoG II 22:29 21 Jul 03
  canard 22:46 21 Jul 03

Thanks everyone- but I still don't know what to do. The march hare link said disable file sharing but it wasn't enabled.
Shields Up has my ports either closed or invisible.
So why did Sygate register shock horror that the net bios was open?
Which is right- Sygate or Shields Up? Confusion!

h_miah 00:55 22 Jul 03

just get norton firewall. It automatically blocks that port anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…