Danger of connecting as slave to clean ?

setecio 08:40 09 Oct 09

If I connect a drive to another PC to clean it with AntiMalware software, is there any danger of it infecting the other machine. Since I will not be running or opening aything, I suspect not.

Does it matter if I connect via IDE/SATA or USB connector?

If there is a danger, is there any way that I can zero the danger ?

Thank.

bjh 08:50 09 Oct 09

So long as you do not run items from the secondary hard drive, there is very little that is likely to go wrong.

If running Malwarebytes AntiMalware, you might as well run another while the disk is available. I use Superantispyware (but suspect it might not be quite the bees knees that it was).

When the HDD is put back in it's own machine, antispyware/av should be run again; although they will clean a slave drive, they won't catch everything by this method.

As to connection, it won't matter from the point of scanning, although SATA would be the fastest. I assume it's either (SATA/IDE) or (USB)... ie depends what kind of HDD... USB will be slowest.

An alternative scenario would be to boot the "other" computer with something like Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, and run antispyware from that - leaving your HDD completely out of the equation. (... or do you just have the HDD on its own?)

setecio 09:08 09 Oct 09

>>>>An alternative scenario would be to boot the "other" computer with something like Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, and run antispyware from that - leaving your HDD completely out of the equation. (... or do you just have the HDD on its own?) <<<<

Can I run MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware this way ?

bjh 09:29 09 Oct 09

Yes. Ultimate boot CD for windows will run from a CD, look pretty much like Windows, and runs antispyware apps perfectly.

List of tools
click here

You just download the image, and burn it to CD. Ensure BIOS is set to boot from CD first, and the computer will spring to life with an OS that will then run the spyware of your choice, amongst other tools.

bjh 09:29 09 Oct 09

Correction... "will run the ANTIspyware of your choice"...

setecio 13:35 09 Oct 09

The latest update was 21st April 09.

Does the ANTIspyware update its definitions or run off the definitions as of 21st April ?

woodchip 15:38 09 Oct 09

No you have to update the CD manually before creating the CD

woodchip 15:39 09 Oct 09

You can also put program utilities on it, of your own choice

bjh 17:00 09 Oct 09

It can update the definitions as it runs, so long as the disk allows online update. Try it and see; there are several applications on the disk to try. Updating the CD is complex and messy. It may well not prove necessary.

setecio 17:03 09 Oct 09

So if I put it on a CDRW ?

Is that what you mean by 'so long as the disc allows online update' ?

bjh 17:36 09 Oct 09

It depends how the machine connects to the internet, and if UB4Win has the correct drivers.

The best bet is to try it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…