damn sony vaio

madPentium 18:24 08 Sep 03

I have this laptop to sort out and had to format the hard drive. The cd-rom however, plugs into the pcmcia slot and when I boot to the hard drive I dont know what driver to load to see the cdrom drive.

Does anyone please have any ideas where this driver can be obtained from.

Many thanks

Wobby 18:44 08 Sep 03

Can you let us know what model the laptop and cdrom drives are and also what OS you are loading onto it please?

madPentium 18:49 08 Sep 03

yes sorry,

vaio pcgN505X notebook
cd= pcga cd51

Windows 98se. I have the windows driver, but cant find a dos one. It wont boot from cd when you tell the bios to do so.

Many thanks

Wobby 18:57 08 Sep 03

Here you are matey, click here I'm afraid you have to become a member (no fee involved) to download it tho. Or you can try searching click here for "pcga cd51 driver" some other sites are charging for the driver tho - the cheek of it all.

madPentium 19:08 08 Sep 03

I already tried that one. It only expands an inf file for windows 98. It doesnt give a .sys file :(

Wobby 19:51 08 Sep 03

Ok, you can try click here

madPentium 22:38 08 Sep 03

nope, that didnt work either :(
These programs say they are installing the drivers, you use them, but they dont work. They all seem to assume it's a TEAC drive in there but it's a TOSHIBA.
It ended up quicker to remove the toy hard drive, plug it into my tower and copy the 98se cd across. I then put it back into the notebook, booted and setup from the hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…