damn refresh rate

eccomputers 22:49 17 Mar 03

Here's a good one...
I took a machine away from a customer to install windows XP for them. I was also issued with a 4 port usb2 pci card and a nvidia m64 tnt2 video card to install for them.
I installed xp, then sp1 which sorted out the usb2 nicely. The video card played dvd etc perfectly. Then the crunch. I returned the machine, plugged it into their flatscreen monitor and hey presto, it flashed 85hz not supported. I rebooted in safe mode but couldnt change the refresh rate. I changed to different monitor drivers to no avail. I removed the agp card so it would use the inferior chipset video on the mobo, then reinstalled the nvidia hoping in and windows would see the monitor couldnt cope. NOPE, it always set itself to 85hz as a hardware default.
Isnt this dangerous? most monitors can be damaged if the refresh rate is too high and how the heck do you sort out a problem like this?

Many thanks

PSF 22:55 17 Mar 03

Download this tool and you can then set the refresh rate to what you want in XP.

click here

eccomputers 23:03 17 Mar 03

it says it ignores the desktop refresh and only effects games? I need to change the desktop refresh rate in safe mode so when I reboot in normal mode, the monitor can handle the display.
The monitor I believe can handle up to 75hz but windows is insisting on 85hz.

DieSse 23:15 17 Mar 03

The latest nvidia driver allows you to set the resolution/refresh rate how you wish. Get it from the nvidia site.

Also you could try changing the monitor type in Display Settings - Advanced - but this shouldn't be necessary with the nVidia driver.

DieSse 23:19 17 Mar 03

Should have added - when you start in safe mode (or try VGA mode in preference) - then set the Refresh rate to Adapter Default - not Optimum.

feizex 23:20 17 Mar 03

You can usually control the refresh rate by the "monitor type" in Display Properties > Settings > Advanced.

If you set it to a low refresh/resolution monitor type like "standard VGA 640x 480" it should get you out of trouble. These tend to have lower maximum refresh rates such as 60Hz (low for a CRT monitor).

Alternatively if it is a flatscreen that you are dealing with, try setting the monitor type to that. I think that flatscreens tend to have a set refresh rate like 60Hz or similar.

CRT's are a different story. They can display at different refresh rates so long as their circuitry can handle the pixel rate. Therefore a lower end monitor (one with a slow pixel rate) may still be capable of 85Hz but at a lower resolution, say 640x480. So you might try lowering the resolution if you get this problem on a CRT monitor.

Djohn 23:27 17 Mar 03

As DieSse says, is exactly what I had to do. I booted up with my new TFT and received the message, "No signal input".

Called my shop, and they said, "start in VGA mode, Monitor will fire up, and then set your card to 75hz or optimal". Worked fine. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…