damaged ipod

tupacfan911 05:33 20 Apr 05

i have a 4GB ipod mini and i recently put it into the wash by accident. there is little activty from it. nothing happens when you press the power button, but when you plug it into the usb port, although the computer does not notice anything, the apple logo keeps flashing on and off, each time causing a faint click and a barely audible beep. for a while it was showing a charge symbol when i plugged it in although no further activity. now it is back to the flashing logo. it does not look as though it is openable, and i do not intend on paying for a proffesional repair. any suggestions?

wiz-king 06:52 20 Apr 05

you could try to rinse it out several times with plain warm water and then leave it in a warm place for a couple of days to dry, that worked with a mobile phone that ended up in the wash. If it has have a hot wash or been tumble dried I dont think you stand much chance. Expensive wash!

Monument 08:10 20 Apr 05

House contents insurance ?

Aspman 11:33 20 Apr 05

A flush with de-ionised water maybe?

I think you are almost certainly stuffed. Most hard drives have a small hole in them to allow air to move in and out of the device (through a filter) If any water at all got though that it would probably be stuffed.

I think most domestic cleaning products contain salt which would not do the electronics any favours.

I would think it would be an insurance job. You might get something for the remains on Ebay.

tupacfan911 16:07 20 Apr 05

i have no insurance. but what is se-ionized water and can i make it myself? also, after continued exposure to a hot blowdryer(with the buttons and screen covers) with the end open, i was able to get the charge symbol but nothing more

Aspman 16:27 20 Apr 05

[quote]Deionized Water (We call it "DI water" in the chemistry labs) is just what it sounds like: Water that has the ions removed. Tap water is usually full of ions from the soil (Na+, Ca2+), from the pipes (Fe2+, Cu+), and other sources. Water is deionized by using an ion exchange process.[/quote]

It's very pure water. I thought that water minus the ions (which allow water to conduct electricity, which is why salt water conducts better then fresh waters coz it has more ions) might clean out some of the contacts with less damage than 'normal' water.

I really think you are knackered I'm afraid.

The only other suggestion I can think of is a bit of patience. Try putting the pod in a warm room for a couple of weeks. An airing cupboard maybe. I would put in on a bit of plasic sheet just in case the battery is damaged enough to rupture.

My girlfriend's phone recovered from a Ribena soaking after a week in the cupboard.

If no joy after that, sell it as damaged on ebay, you might get something.

Aspman 16:28 20 Apr 05

You'd need to buy de-ionised unless you have access to a university chemistry lab.

PUNKA 17:39 20 Apr 05

If you know of a local car spares shop pop in there and ask, failing that go to a local battery/forklift rental company, they use it to replace the acid in batteries.

Pidder 18:23 20 Apr 05

Don't think they would use de-ionised water to replace the acid but it would be used to top up lost electrolyte. Probably Halfords distilled water is the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…