Damaged hard drive

londonah 20:00 PM 06 Jul 11

Hi,

My Windows XP home edition pc is no longer locating my 500gb internal hard drive.

I was trying to transfer some mp3 files from one drive to another. While doing this my pc froze and I mistakenly decided to use the restart button. When my pc began rebooting it warned me that some files had been damaged, advised me to let windows do a check, and began identifying the damaged files (sorry, I cannot remember exactly what it said). It kept doing this for 24 hrs, at which point I decided to restart again. Since then pc has allowed me access the operating system but not the damaged drive. I really need to recover this stuff as there are important photos on the drive.

Any suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:34 PM 06 Jul 11

Assume you cannot see the drive in My computer?

Can you see the drive in disk management and has it got a drive letter assigned to it?

londonah 11:35 AM 07 Jul 11

I'll have a look tonight and report back.

Thanks.

londonah 19:25 PM 07 Jul 11

I can see the drive in disk Management - any suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:26 PM 07 Jul 11

as it got a drive letter assigned to it?

londonah 19:27 PM 07 Jul 11

Would it be best to copy all the files to another drive and format?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:48 PM 07 Jul 11

How are you going to copy files if you can't access it?

If it hasn't got a drive letter assigned then right clickit and assign a drive letter you can then see it in My computer.

If it has got a drive letter but you can't see in may computer then you may need a file recovery program to access the drive.

londonah 20:19 PM 07 Jul 11

Ok, once I found the drive, through Disk management, the drive reappeared in my computer as the c drive.

I will transfer all the files from the drive, format it, and then repopulate the drive.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites