Damaged Files On External Hard Drive

It seems all my files are damaged or corrupt on my external hard drive and wont open. Why is this and what can I do to get them back? They are videos, docs, pics etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 02 Apr 08

More likely the file system is damaged.

CAn you access the drive in windows?

Try to right click the drive select properties - Tools tab - error checking - check now.

Ok I will try that and get back.

Well that hasnt worked. Some files are ok but most wont open. Anything else I can do?

^

woodchip 22:14 02 Apr 08

You may have some bad ram that as done it. Is is the same on the main drive

Everything is fine on the main drive. Most of the files are 32KB even DVD films and it asks what program I would like to open them with. If the drive was knackered everything would be like it but some of the things on the drive are ok. This is why I have everything on this drive because i thought it would be safe.

woodchip 10:39 03 Apr 08

It may be the caddy hardware or a faulty USB cable that is doing it, it does not take much all it needs is a bad connection that may work under other circumstances but data only needs the above to get messed up

But if the drive or cable is damaged how can I access some files and not others?

woodchip 15:26 03 Apr 08

Because the files it can read are not corrupt. Try using the drive in another USB socket. If you are Using a USB Hub this may be the problem as I had trouble using one, until I plugged direct into a computer usb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac