Damaged computer

JoJoh 17:36 27 Sep 05

Hi - I am trying to fix a computer for a friend. It is an old Dell Latitude Laptop running Win98SE.

The computer has a virus that will not let it start. Please advise how I can run an anti-virus programme from start-up and/or an anti malaware
programme from a: at start up. I can download these from the web if available.

These need to be self-executing.

Thanks JoJoH

johnnyrocker 17:39 27 Sep 05

has it got and can you run floppy?

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 27 Sep 05
  JoJoh 17:49 27 Sep 05

Hi - It has a floppy and a cd-rom drive but they
are both removable and fit into the same port. Therefore only 1 can be run at 1 time. The computer boots into windows but gets stuck at the screen. Thereafter nothing works. I am sure that it is a trojan problem but I don't know where to find an anti-virus programme that runs from dos and is self-executable.

I just checked the link to Avast Boot Disk but cannot work out which one to download

Thanks
JoJoH

johnnyrocker 18:01 27 Sep 05

diload stinger from mcaffee via google search and run it on the system or maybe boot into safe mode and run scanreg/restore and it should come up with a list of working dates and pick one of them?

johnny.

woodchip 18:18 27 Sep 05

try this it's got a virus scanner click here

JoJoh 18:19 27 Sep 05

Hi - Thanks for the idea ref Stinger however although I can download it to my computer, I cannot get programmes to run on the laptop. Therefore, any programme will need to run as self-executable from a floppy in the a drive when the computer launches

JoJoh 18:27 27 Sep 05

Hi - Apologies for any confusion. I am alittle unsure how to run programmes from Dos and so prefer a disk that I put into the A- Drive and it runs from there.

Thanks

JoJoH

johnnyrocker 18:28 27 Sep 05

follow my tip from earlier.

johnny.

JoJoh 18:32 27 Sep 05

Thanks for the advice ref Stinger however I can't run any programmes in normal or safe mode.
This is why I want to run it from DOS

JoJOH

johnnyrocker 18:53 27 Sep 05

i was under the impression you were able to run a floppy.

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…