Daily Backup of a small amount of Critical Material

wee eddie 18:16 15 Jun 14
Answered

I currently have 2 External Hard Drives. Since Cryptlocker, they are only connected for the duration of the Back-up.

The 1st carries a Full Disk Copy, renewed every 3rd month.

The 2nd carries an Incremental Backup which is done every week, totally refreshed every 3rd month, and stored elsewhere.

Now I have 1 file "Outlook.pst", of about 2.5MB, and 1 Folder, my Taxi, Accounts and Documents, of about 280MB, which alter every day and are very, very, important to me.

I was thinking that an Automated On-line Back-up Service might just be the thing for me. Preferably free, including the Operating Software, of course, but I'm not averse to a small fee as the amount of storage space required is well below .5GB.

Anyone got any recommendations?

clarkkent 07:10 18 Jun 14

Hi Wee eddie ,

I guess, you are looking for feature like Auto-Archive (Within MS-Outlook) to create a backup of the data on the daily basis. Auto-Archive in Microsoft Outlook allow users to define a structure through which they can get a backup of their data automatically into a desired location.

To know more about Auto-Archive and it’s working, click here

Thanks

Clark Kent

wee eddie 09:26 18 Jun 14

Thanks Clark. I already have Auto Archive running every time I close Outlook.

It is this File (2.32MB in size) that I am looking to backup, on-line and automatically.

Forum Editor 18:55 22 Jun 14

I'm wondering why you stress that you want this backup to be online? I can't think of any advantages in doing that with a file as small as 2.32Mb - why don't you simply use automatic backup software to back up the file to external media?

wee eddie 23:55 22 Jun 14

FE: First, I want to try and protect the Backup from Cryptlocker and if I had, say a USB Stick, permanently attached to the PC. It would be a gonner.

Secondly, I want to make it totally automated, I used to use Mozy, when it was free, now it's £60 a year. Once set, Mozy backed up the Folder and the File, every day, with no other input from myself.

I'm now 69 and have noticed that I'm becoming forgetful, so the fewer tasks that I need to include in my daily routine, the more likely they are to get done.

Forum Editor 18:11 23 Jun 14

Setting up an automatic backup routine is simplicity itself, and you can do it with free software.

I wasn't questioning the need for the precaution, I just don't understand why it has to be an online backup. You can take steps to potect your machine from Cryptolocker - the most effective way is not to open any email attachments unless you are expecting them, and certainly don't open anything that purports to come from FEDEX, UPS, or any of the other big logistics companies.

I run backups to two locations, both of which are on removable media. One of them is a weekly backup, and the device is not connected to a computer until the day/time of the backup. Afterwards it is immediately disconnected and stored safely.

wee eddie 20:42 23 Jun 14

FE you are, almost certainly right. I have the mega weekly Backup all set and it works well. I was just having difficulty remembering to do the Daily, Off Site, Backup of the teeny, but critical, bits.

If I can't find an alternative to the Free version of Mozy, that's what I'll have to do.

wee eddie 00:57 24 Jun 14
Answer

Got to page 59 of this months Magazine.

The answer to a maidens prayer.

Downloaded Nero BackItUp 2014 and put the stuff online. The first upload took a little over 40 minutes,

I shall report back tomorrow on the first backup. How easy it is to use and how long it takes.

wee eddie 21:51 24 Jun 14

Looks like success: Just backed up today's alterations to the Taxi's Folder and my .pst File.

Just press the Shortcut > Log in - Actually, I have stayed Logged In > Wait for the Green Button to load > Press the green Button > the changes appear to have been uploaded > Job Done > the whole process took less than 3 minutes.

Bravo Nero. Lets hope that I never need to use you to reinstall but, if I do, then it all goes as smoothly.

Now, all I have to do is to remember the Password!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…