Dail-up at Windows start-up

Digital 11:47 04 Jun 03

Recently my PC has started to dial out as soon as Windows (98SE)starts. I can stop the actual dialling by unchecking the Automatic box but how do I find out what is causing the dial-up window to appear?

xtreme_computing 11:58 04 Jun 03

this can be caused by a program or spyware trying to connect to the internet

basically i would download adaware which is free click here this gets rid of any spyware that may be trying to call out, also if you have zonelarm installed this can cause the problem.also do a virus scan and make sure your antivirus definitions are upto date

also you can stop programs running at startup by going to start/run and type msconfig

there you can disable startup programs

also look to see what is trying to dialout and pin point the program

3Toed 12:00 04 Jun 03

Try changing ur settings on internet explorer. Use Tools > Internet options > Connections and change it from 'always dial my default connection' to ' never dial my default connection'

3Toed 12:07 04 Jun 03

Sorry,digital,i meant to say make sure your 'dial whenever a network connection is not present'is not checked,and check always dial my default connection(in the above location)

jbaker65 12:09 04 Jun 03

Hi Digital, have you recently installed Zone Alarm? I had this problem and it was caused by Zone Alarm. I uninstalled it and started to use Agnitum Outpost Firewall. Problem solved. regards, John.

redelf 13:40 04 Jun 03

I have been having a similar problem - check this posting.

click here

Mine is still not resolved but would be interested to what setup / software Digital is using to see if any common factors. I have:

Windows 98SE
Athlon 600mhz
Norton Systemworks incl. AV

xtreme_computing 13:50 04 Jun 03

have you updated zonealaram redelf, if so there is your problem!

xtreme_computing 13:53 04 Jun 03
  Digital 20:25 04 Jun 03

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. By unchecking items in the Start Up list (Start, Run, msconfig) one by one I tracked it down to something called SystemMScvb. I had two copies of this in the Start Up list, by unchecking both I got rid of the unwanted Dial Up. Don't know what SystemMScvb is or where it came from, does anyone know?

Gaz 25 20:44 04 Jun 03

I am I right in thinking this is the Sobig virus.

Get your Virus software up-to-date and do a scan.

Also look at the posts on this virus.

Gaz 25 20:45 04 Jun 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…