Daft Excel question

Beth 19:15 11 Feb 03

I'm accustomed to Works spreadsheets, but I'm having to work with Excel now. I've managed to wing it so far but I can't work out how to draw a line across a column of figures. "U" just underlines the last figure in the column. Could someone please put me right on this one.

Sir Radfordin™ 19:18 11 Feb 03

You could use cell borders and only put a line on the bottom border.

Sir Radfordin™ 19:20 11 Feb 03

In Excel 2002 (XP) when you select the cell it underlines the whole number :-/

BrianW 19:25 11 Feb 03

Insert/Pictures/Autoshapes, then select line and type. The draw the line where you want - job done

BrianW 19:27 11 Feb 03

typo - Then draw the line

tigger2406 19:58 11 Feb 03

I presume you mean as an underline to a heading row? In which case I'm with Sir R on the using the cell border thing. Looks nice and neat too. Otherwise let us know what it is that you need more exactly?

VoG™ 20:18 11 Feb 03

No question is daft in my (work)book if you don't know the answer.

Assuming that you are using Excel 97 or higher, on the standard toolbar you will find the Borders button. If you don't know which one it is, hover the cursor over each button in turn and its name will pop-up in a little yellow box. Normally the Borders button is slightly to the right of centre.

If you click on the small down arrow just to the right of the button it will bring up a further set of buttons - just click on the one showing just the bottom border.

[This is an amplification of what Sir Radfordin™ said in his first post.]

If you are going to be doing a lot of border formatting, after clicking on the little down arrow (as above), click on the blue bar at the top of the further set of buttons and, holding down the mouse button, drag it down onto your worksheet. You will now have a floating toolbar.

pj123 20:30 11 Feb 03

Sir Radfordin™ is right, but he forgot one thing, you must highlight the cells you want the line under before going to format, cells, borders.

BRYNIT 21:59 11 Feb 03

Right click on tool bar down to boarders, this will open the required tool bar.

Sir Radfordin™ 22:45 11 Feb 03

Sorry about the lack of detail there was on the Phone to Serif at the time ;)

Beth 23:01 11 Feb 03

Thanks all. I'm set to go now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…