DACS box & broadband

CurlyWhirly 15:40 26 Nov 04

My friend wants to upgrade to broadband and after placing an order with his ISP he has been told by e-mail that as he has been connected to a DACS box he will ONLY be able to have a service speed of 512kb even though (according to click here) he could have up to a 2mb service as he lives close to his exchange.

He has two seperate telephone lines connected to his home so that he can surf the internet (using dial-up) WITHOUT tieing up the phone.
BT have said that they can disconnect the phone line upstairs but he will be limited to the basic 512kb service and I was wondering whether this could have something to do with him sharing his telephone line with his next door neighbour?

Even if this is the case I can't understand why this would make a difference as I thought the voice/sound was kept SEPERATE from the broadband signal which is digital.
I wonder if someone could explain to me what is going on here please?

Djohn 15:59 26 Nov 04

Don't know the full reason or details Curly but our Graham will tell you when he sees the thread.

Normally they use a DACS box to take advantage of the existing line already coming into the property to split the line into two separate lines, either for yourself or for you and your neighbour. Saves having to run another cable from the pole to the property.

At my previous address about eight years back they asked if they could do this from my line by splitting it where it entered the house and diverting it next door. I said no. The Pole was only 25 metres away at the bottom of the garden!

Confab 16:01 26 Nov 04

DACS splits one BT line into two but you can only surf at 28K (dial up). Can he not ask BT to remove the DACS and give him one line to his house which would mean he could get the full 2mb broadband speed?

CurlyWhirly 16:04 26 Nov 04

Thanks I will hope that Graham reads my thread!
My friend has clarified (by e-mail) that there USED to be a neighbour sharing the telephone line but this was disconnected (or disabled) a few years ago and he has had a seperate line installed upstairs so that going online with dial-up WOULDN'T tie up his telephone.

CurlyWhirly 16:07 26 Nov 04

Can he not ask BT to remove the DACS and give him one line to his house which would mean he could get the full 2mb broadband speed?

He has already asked about this and BT said it was possible but it would involve digging up the road and they would charge him for doing it.
I didn't ask the cost as he might think me nosey! lol

Djohn 16:09 26 Nov 04

I think they have to remove them now when asked but again not sure. If your friend is now using the DACS box for both his own lines then yes, it can be removed as it will no longer be needed with broadband.

CurlyWhirly 16:13 26 Nov 04

I think they have to remove them now when asked but again not sure.

This is worth him investigating further!
I have sent him an e-mail with your comment and when he reads it he will probably follow it up!
Thanks by the way.

Noelg23 16:16 26 Nov 04

I work at BT and we get these calls. tell your friend he has to ring BT Sales (150) to order an engineer to remove the DACS box, if they say he should call his ISP, he shouldnt cos his ISP will already have been notified by BT Wholesale about this. so there you have it. there should be no more complication than that...and as for the charging well it does depend on what BT have to do to remove the DACS box...but get him to ring 150 first...

CurlyWhirly 16:19 26 Nov 04

Will do - Thanks for your comment straight from the horses mouth i.e. you know whats going on as you work at BT.

CurlyWhirly 16:20 26 Nov 04

p.s. I will pass your comment on.

Stuartli 16:20 26 Nov 04

This is Virgin's view on DACS:

click here

Others include:

click here

click here

click here

Even more interesting (!) plus DACS posting:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…