dab radio

baldyx 21:20 24 Apr 06

I recently bought a DAB radio and noticed that the broadcasted signal from the DAB radio is around 3 seconds behind that from an analogue radio.

Is there a fault in my dab radio or is it normal fro digital signal?

Jackcoms 21:24 24 Apr 06

It's normal.

I can listen on my analogue radio but the same radio station on Freeview (digital) lags slightly behind.

No doubt a 'techie' Forum member will explain why.

octal 22:35 24 Apr 06

If you can imagine filling a bucket with a hole in the bottom. You fill the bucket with water so the water that goes in the top takes time before it reaches the hole at the bottom.

This is the same with a digital signal, the data stream has to fill a buffer before the signal is decoded, one of the reasons it does this is so that any drop in signal can be tolerated as the output will still be there for three seconds before the buffer empties, hopefully the buffer fill up again when the signal returns.

So the answer to you question, yes its quite normal.

Stuartli 23:38 24 Apr 06

In the case of Freeview (at least for TV programmes) the delay is due to the conversion back to analogue (unless you have a digital TV).

wee eddie 08:32 25 Apr 06

I assume that your DAB radio is one of the little transportable types so accuracy of reproduction will be of little interest to you.

It is sad that a new generation of listeners will be fobbed of with an inferior sound-scape and an inaccurate time clock. However thats life! There was no other way, that the industry could think of, to get you to dump your old radio and buy a new one.

€dstowe 08:42 25 Apr 06

I was one of the gullible who bought a DAB radio shortly after launch of the system - I was taken in by the sales hype and I should have known better. The device was very expensive indeed.

It sits in a cupboard, unloved and unwanted. A complete waste of money. I have a hope that one day the service will be improved so that it is not blocked by almost any electrical machine that might be used in the neighbourhood or does not suffer 2 - 3 second dropouts of reception which is replaced by an irritating warbling sound every 10 minutes or so. I could go on.

baldyx 11:29 25 Apr 06

Thanks all for your comments. The adb radio i have is Roberts Gemini rd25. The reception is good and there are lots of stations available.

octal 20:14 25 Apr 06

I've got one of the pocket DAB receivers I use backwards and forwards to work. We live about 15 miles from the transmitter at Croydon and it takes a couple of re-boots to get the thing to work, but once it is, it seems to work fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…