D:\ Is not accessible.(next line)Incorrect funtion

Trevor-219868 19:18 22 Oct 03

If I try to access the "a" or "d" drives from within "My computer" I get the above message.
The only way to view the contents of the CD rom is to re-boot with the disc in the tray.
runing XP home intel pent 733.

I have removed the devices from the mamager and re-booted (with and without the drives being connected)

Can I re-install XP home upgrade without losing my personal information etc, and may this cure the problem.

Many Thanks

Gongoozler 19:49 22 Oct 03

I typed your error message into Google and found 82 relevant results. This one from Microsoft looked the most promising (I put a space after // to see if that avoids the link being corrupted)http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q315350

Trevor-219868 19:58 22 Oct 03

Gongoozler, Many thanks, but i have seen that and i have never used the CD creator. But i did download the patch from Roxio.

Gongoozler 20:13 22 Oct 03

It would appear that Nero can have the same problem
click here. Also reading some of the results from Google suggests that it can be a motherboard driver problem or a faulty cd drive, but why the A drive is affected I have no idea.

woodchip 20:19 22 Oct 03

I would think this is the CDRW software. Which are you using XP's own or one of the others i.e. NERO CD Creator or what

Trevor-219868 16:28 23 Oct 03

Thanks for ALL your help guys.
Problem resolved by me re-installing XP pro, I no it was a drastic thing to do , but it worked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…