D-Link Wireless network problem

JOHN F K 22:34 16 Apr 06

I have a D-Link DSL-G604T Wireless ADSL Router attached to my PC to enable my son to access the internet through his Medion laptop. Recently the connection has started to become intermittent and now has virtually stopped working completely. The DWL-G122 USB adapter will now only work in one of the four ports on the laptop and then only for a couple of minutes.
I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the software for the USB adapter several times, this worked once before but now doesn't.
We are now on the fourth USB adapter he's had since I set up the network as previously I thought that he had been mistreating them. At £30 or so each I can't keep getting new ones.
In the main the wireless connection had been fine since its purchase 6-7 months ago but now I don't know how to proceed. Has anyone got any suggestions?

JohnC123 22:53 16 Apr 06

I suppose you've tried unplugging the power from the DSL-G604T and then re-powering after a few minutes ? I sometimes have to do that with my router when the laptop connection fails.

Taff™ 23:01 16 Apr 06

A few thoughts on this one! I`ve set up this router several times and use one myself at home. I`ve only ever known one, a friends, that failed after 6 months. Replacing it with mine cured the problem and I took the faulty one back to the supplier who changed it.

Have you tried unplugging the router for 5 minutes and then seeing if that works? Who is your ISP by the way? If they disconnect you after a period of inactivity that may explain the problem. (PlusNet started to do this back in March for example.)

The USB dongle is the least likely candidate. It`s a sealed unit but I accept that your son could have been a little "ham fisted" in plugging it in and out of the USB ports which may have damaged the port. Do other USB devices work in the ports OK? (Printer for example)If so there is no reason for the dongle not to work - do you get the green LED`s lighting up?

As a long shot unplug all USB devices, open device manager (Control Panel> System> Hardware tab) and scroll down to the USB Controllers. Expand the tree and delete all the ports and controllers. Reboot the laptop and the Operating Sytem will re-install the drivers. Now try plugging in the dongle again.

Finally go into the admin of the router and look under the Status Tab - Click on DHCP clients and checkthat the laptop is listed. If not click back on the status tab and then System Log. Scroll down and copy then paste the last ten entries in the log here and I`ll have a look for you.

De Marcus™ 23:01 16 Apr 06

Sometimes, when a new wireless network is introduced nearby, it can produce these kind of symptoms.

Taff™ 23:15 16 Apr 06

Evening De Marcus™ - good point! How many wireless signals can you pick up when scanning? If more than a couple try changing the channel on the router and see if that cures the problem.

JOHN F K 23:22 16 Apr 06

Thanks for all the help so far. I haven't got back to the laptop yet, but the changing channel suggestion where I think I'll start. It's on 6 at the moment, what's the one I should use?

De Marcus™ 23:25 16 Apr 06

Hi Taff™, long time no type :-).

I'll try explain my last post a little bit more as it was a little vague. If a new wireless network is introduced into an area where existing wireless networks exist and happen to be on the same default channel, collisions can occur, sending wireless transmissions haywire and resulting in the kind of symptoms your experiencing. Whilst it may not be the problem your experiencing, it's easy to resolve and something to tick against your checklist whilst troubleshooting.

De Marcus™ 23:26 16 Apr 06

Work your way methodically through them all, if all channels produce the same result, look elsewhere for the problem.

De Marcus™ 23:30 16 Apr 06

I should also mention interference from newly acquired electrical appliances, whilst an anomaly, can be easily identified if you've recently bought anything new.

Taff™ 23:31 16 Apr 06

6 is the default for this router. Try 9. Open up the router admin and then click on the setup tab. Select Wireless settings and change it there selecting apply at the bottom of the screen. Don`t forget to then go to Tools>System Commands and press the Save All Button. Then the Back button that appears, Not the browser Back Button. Now press Restart and wait until you get thrown back to the log in page. Reboot the laptop and scan for the router.

By the way I suggest you delete all the saved profiles and just leave your router in there. Delete any profile that`s called default too.

JOHN F K 00:10 17 Apr 06

Just tried changing the channel from 6 to 9. Didn't make a difference. Won't be trying any more until tomorrow now, but thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll work my way through them.
We did just buy new digital cordless phones. Might that be a cause? Although we did have them before, but a different make.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…