d-link router/ethernet cable

jenjen2020 20:30 21 Aug 06

I recently bought a laptop and wanted a wireless router which would allow my laptop and the family pc to connect to the internet at the same time. We were advised to buy the D-link wireless ADSL2+ router and the assistant said my laptop would pick the signal up automatically and the pc would do this through the usb device included. When trying to install the router the instructions state the ethernet cable must be connected to the pc, which is proving difficult as the phone line etc is down stairs and the pc upstairs. We bought this package under the impression that NO wires whatsoever have to be connected to either computer, just a wire from the router into the phone line via the d-link split box provided. Is it at all possible to have the router plugged in downstairs but still sending the signal to the pc upstairs, without a wire all the way up the stairs? Or will the router need to be connected to the pc via this ethernet cable? Also, if I only owned my laptop, would I still have to have the ethernet wire plugged into it as this sort of defeats the purpose of wireless internet and a portable computer!!! Thanks for any help.

ade.h 20:40 21 Aug 06

D-Links are one of a vast majority of brands that MUST be connected via RJ45 cable in order to configure the router for the first time.

ade.h 20:40 21 Aug 06

Any PC can be used, so you could invite a friend with a laptop round to do it for you.

jenjen2020 20:50 21 Aug 06

Sorry if I'm being really stupid!! After I've configured the router does the ethernet cable not need to be connected permanently to the pc or the laptop?

ade.h 20:54 21 Aug 06

No, it doesn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac