D-Link router probs

Dirk Diggler 11:52 15 Mar 07

I am trying to install a D-Link wireless router and am using the "Quick Installation" - it gets as far as checking system status and it states it has a problem with my WAN settings? Can anyone explain what this means or what I should be looking for?

mgmcc 13:31 15 Mar 07

What type of router is it - "Cable/DSL" for use with NTL/Telewest (VirginMedia) or a combined "Router & ADSL Modem" for ADSL broadband?

The "WAN" settings are those for the "Wide Area Network", which is the Internet, so there is something that hasn't been configured correctly in your settings to connect to the ISP.

Dirk Diggler 10:18 16 Mar 07

Thanks for your reply

The router is for a DSL connection ie Telewest (or now Virgin Media)

Can I change the WAN config manually?

mgmcc 22:10 16 Mar 07

Power off the Cable Modem and leave it without power for two or three minutes. Connect an ethernet cable between the router's WAN port and the Cable Modem's ethernet port, then power on the modem and wait for it to be fully booted with four steady lights. Connect a second ethernet cable between the PC's network port and one of the router's LAN ports. Power on the router and boot the PC.

Go into the router's configuration pages, by typing 192.168.0.1 into your web browser, select the "Home" tab at the top and the "WAN" tab on the left. Set "Dynamic IP Address" as the connection type and that's it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…