D-Link router problems

Hetti 12:37 24 Nov 07

After a reinstall of win XP,I find my D-Link DI624 will not work when I try to use encryption, all three PC's lose the internet connetion. I put router back to factory settings (is that called default)and it works fine, but as it is a non secure network we are worried as I do buy items online at times. On Internet connections it says
LAN or high speed internet then below that it says Local area connection, connected , firewalled Realtek RTL8169, there is no mention of the D-Link.

ambra4 13:13 24 Nov 07

Check these sites on wireless security set up

click here

click here

ambra4 13:13 24 Nov 07

Check these sites on wireless security set up

click here

click here

mgmcc 16:48 24 Nov 07

<<<< On Internet connections it says LAN or high speed internet then below that it says Local area connection, connected , firewalled Realtek RTL8169, there is no mention of the D-Link.>>>>

As a Router isn't *INSTALLED* in a computer, either as software or hardware, it won't appear in the Network Connections folder. It is a Network Device to which computers connect.

Hetti 17:21 24 Nov 07

Thanks guys
ambra
I looked at the sites, but i could not see anything I thought that could help me (but I not very good at this sort of thing).

mgmcc
Thanks for that, can I just say that I did ring D-Link technical support and the chap I spoke to said as the D-Link was not listed in Network Connections (it is not in device mamager eithier)it was not working and I should buy a USB network adaptor or a network card then my router would work. I then went to my local PC shop and explained this to the chap there he said I would be wasting my money buying one, if the router had worked before (and it has for over a year)then it should work now without any USB or network cards.
Im really lost here, who is correct?

ambra4 22:27 24 Nov 07

Hetti

Lets start over; forget what the so call tech guys over the phone and in the shop is telling you

You WILL NOT SEE THE D-LINK ROUTER in the network connection on your computer the only thing you will see is the Local Area Connection which is the LAN port on the computer that is connected to the router via the Ethernet cable.

The router is not part of the computer, it is an external item, and the only way to connect to the router is via the LAN port, which is the Local Area Connection, access to the router is via your browser via the Local Area Connection

Once you have access the set up page on the router you have to configure it to access your ISP who will allow you access to the Internet

Using the following setting on the router will allow your ISP to connect you to their system and the Internet

Connection Type = PPPoA

VPI/VCI = 0/38

Encapsulation = VCMUX.

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

No need to worry about the Wireless system just yet

As I said before take a good read at the sites that I listed before on setting up your wireless system

Also have you set up the computer to allow you access the Internet?

Take a read at this posting

click here

mgmcc 07:33 25 Nov 07

The D-Link DI-624 is a "Cable/DSL" router, so the original poster must (I hope!) be using Virgin's *CABLE* service and not ADSL.

mgmcc 07:39 25 Nov 07

If you connected to the router without encryption, a 'profile' will have been saved so that the Wireless Adapter connects automatically in future to the wireless network when it is available.

You therefore need to "Remove" the existing 'profile' click here and go through the procedure to "Connect" again. You will be prompted to enter the WEP/WPA encryption key and once connected a new 'profile' will be saved.

Hetti 09:33 25 Nov 07

Hi Guys

Thanks for taking the time to try to explian things to me, I know it makes it so much more differcult when you got someone like me at this end who is a Dumbo at this sort of thing,:>(
Yes Iam using Virgin cable Im going to try to erase old profile and Ill let you know how I get on.
Once again Thanks so much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac