d-link dsl-g624t

pgs001 19:27 13 Nov 06

after a great deal of messing around, my machine finally got around to accepting the fact that a router was being installed,but during setup,I keep getting one of two messages (1 connection timeout) what does this mean,how do I extend timing? (2 cannot find modem,i understood this router had a built in modem,),what am I doing wrong? The hours wasted,is it worth while?

mgmcc 23:18 13 Nov 06

"Reading between the lines", I suspect you are still trying to connect to the internet from the PC, hence a connection timeout and an inability to find a modem.

It is now the *ROUTER'S* function to connect to the ISP, you should have no ISP connection software in the PC and internet access is via the Local Area Network from the router.

Initially, you should connect to the router by ethernet cable and access its setup pages by entering its IP address (192.168.1.1?) into your web browser. Configure it with your ISP details so that it can connect automatically.

pgs001 16:24 14 Nov 06

thank you for replying mgmcc,Being on the thick side,I just put the setup cd in the drive and followed the set up instructions,I take it that I should uninstall present internet access and restart in ie6 or 7,

mgmcc 20:49 14 Nov 06

Yes, when connecting with a router, you should uninstall any ISP connection software and, in Internet Explorer's settings "Tools > Internet Options", Connections tab, select "Never dial a connection".

pgs001 21:00 14 Nov 06

many thanks mgmcc,will try this,let you know later

pgs001 22:47 14 Nov 06

to mgmcc,problem sorted!Dozy so and so that I am,I did not fill in my user name for the isp properly,I had left off the @isp etc.

I did not have to uninstall isp,just filled in my address in full.

If the brain cell was active......

thank you for your time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…