D-Link DSL-300G+ modem problem

  keverne 14:19 25 Oct 03
Locked

I recently bought a D-Link DSL-300G+ modem to give ADSL access to my Toshiba Tecra notebook (XP Professional) via an ethernet connection.

It was very easy to set up. I just had to enter the relevant settings pertaining to my ISP, Demon Internet, into the modem and ensure that Internet Explorer was set to 'Automatically detect settings' in the LAN settings box.

It's worked fine - until today. I can get it to connect and even ping an outside address but it won't entertain any web sites. However I can access the modems 'Web based manager' using IP address 192.168.0.1 Initially this morning I could get a very slow connection but now there's nothing. All I get is 'The page cannot be displayed'.

I know the ADSL is OK because I've got it working lovely here on my desktop PC after switching cables.

I've shut down the Norton firewall but still no go.

So what's the score? What can I do to see what has happened please?

  JPickard 11:58 18 Feb 04

Hi,

I bought my D-Link DSL-300G+ last November. It worked great up until near the beginning of this year.

What happens is the modem connects to BTOpenworld successfully. I can browse the web for a while (anything from 1 minute up until a variable amount of time) and then all Internet access stops working.

The modem still thinks it has a PPPoA connection to BTOpenworld. I can still get to the web admin page for the modem. I can still ping the modem's IP 192.168.0.1. But I cannot ping an external web site address. So it appears that there is a fault with the modem. I've already sent the modem for repair, but D-Link just re-uploaded the same firmware version and returned it to me.

I know my ADSL line is OK because my USB modem works - and I've also tried a mate's Netgear modem and it gives a 100% reliable Internet connection.

  JPickard 11:32 22 Sep 04

Hi,

I resolved my modem issue. It was down to a bad connection in one of my BT socket outlets in the house. I've an engineer installed system - therefore I do not have filters.

Regarding your question - when the ADSL modem connects to BT, it gets allocated a dynamic IP address which your router picks up. It also gets given the IP address of a BT DNS server (there's more than one DNS server at BT). Your router should pick this DNS address up as well.

When your PC connects to your router, your router will give your PC a dynamic IP address (might be 192.168.x.x where x.x are dependent on the set up of your router). Your PC should also pick up the DNS server address. Your problem might be to do with the DNS server not being used by your PC. So, try allocating a static IP address to your PC and entering the IP address of a BT DNS server (try: 194.74.65.85).

If you need more help then please contact me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…