D-Link DI-524 and USB adapter DWL-G122

Bgrd 21:41 21 Jul 06

I have a router DI-524 with H/W version A2 and F/W version 1.12 and a USB adapter DWL-G122 with H/W version B1 and F/W version 2.03. The operating system of all computers is Wndows XP SP2.

Desktop computer with USB adapter cannot connect to the internet. It can't even recognize the wireless netwroks in the neighbourhood. I have these two products since several months and this was happening from time to time but wasn't this serious. I tried installing (several) drivers from D-Link website but that wasn't of any help.

A third computer which is a laptop with wireless card already in it has no problem connectiing so I think there is no problem with the router.

Maybe I should update the firmware version of my router. The latest one is 1.21. Perhaps that would help?

I really have no clue what's the problem. Would someone please help me?

ade.h 21:53 21 Jul 06

Your third and fourth paragraphs contradict each other: if the router works, do not play around with firmware revs.

"I have these two products since several months and this was happening from time to time but wasn't this serious."
So is this a significant or sudden increase in occurences, or has it just been getting progressivly worse over a long time?

Is this adapter being used with the 3rd-party software or is it managed by WZC?

Bgrd 22:09 21 Jul 06

"So is this a significant or sudden increase in occurences, or has it just been getting progressivly worse over a long time?"

it is more likely that this is getting progressively worse over time. it is difficult to tell since that computer is being used by another person very rarely. the times it was used, the problem of connectivity wouldn't arise often and it was easily solved by clicking "repair". I also had to reinstall the driver once.

"Is this adapter being used with the 3rd-party software or is it managed by WZC?"

I am not aware if it is used with a 3rd-party software but I wouldn't say so. I'm not familiar with WZC. What is it?

ade.h 22:12 21 Jul 06

Wireless Zero Config (see services.msc and you'll see it at the bottom). Much preferable to the manufacturer's software.

My advice depends on which is being used.

Bgrd 22:28 21 Jul 06

yes, WZC is used. it says automatic Startup.

ade.h 22:31 21 Jul 06

That does not mean that it is used, simply that it is running, which it will by default.

Bgrd 22:53 21 Jul 06

i'm really sorry for asking stupid questions but how do i know which software is used? i only installed the driver that came with the adapter and do not know what manages the adapter.

if it can help you this is a list of programs running:

click here

ade.h 14:37 22 Jul 06

You have provide a list of Windows services - not software - quite meaningless really, because it will no doubt all be on defaults anyway.

It sounds like you need to keep a closer eye on what software you install, particularly during hardware installations.

Look in the startup yab of msconfig and the Change or Remove Programs list.

Bgrd 17:32 22 Jul 06

ok, i think i got it. it appears that the adapter is managed by ANIO Service/ANIWZCS2.

i tried to uninstall it since you say WZC is better than manufacturer software but ANIO software does not allow to be uninstalled unless i uninstall the whole D-Link driver.

what should i do now?

Bgrd 17:45 22 Jul 06

i installed the driver without ANIO Service using this method:

insert the d-link cd that came with the hardware and install the drivers...this actually removes the ANIO and ANIWZCS services and your wireless connection...but don't worry

after your done removing all that what you got to do is add back your wireless connection without those two pesky programs and you do it like this.

go to control panel and click add hardware...this should brink up the dlink adapter and then add the driver from the same cd. now you'll have your wireless connection without those 2 programs which is what we expected when we bought this damn adapter!

--------------

so now i guess the WZC is managing my adapter but the problem persists. adapter cannot find any network.

Bgrd 17:21 25 Jul 06

does anyone have a solution or a suggestion to my problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…