D-link cable router wont connect - virgin media

josh11 22:14 14 Sep 07

Hi all

I have a d-link cable router (dkt110)

I ran the setup program but when I got to the stage where it tries to connect to the internet I received an error saying it couldn't connect.

I have the router plugged into the cable set top box, to set up the router I unplugged the Ethernet cable going from the set top box to the pc and then connected the router to the pc and to the cable box.

I selected dynamic ip as the connection type which was recommended and checked the clone mac address option.

Any ideas?

thanks

ambra4 03:21 15 Sep 07

josh11

D Link support site UK

click here

htt?p://click here=

Remove the? In HTT?P copy an paste to browser PCA is not allow the URL long link

Information below is straight from dlink site

My Internet Service Provider is providing me with a dynamic IP address, how do I configure the router?

Answer:
The DI, DIR and DGL range of products are set up by default to receive a dynamic IP address on the Internet (WAN) port.

They only need to be plugged in and connected; no additional set-up is required.

If you are using a cable modem and are having trouble connecting, please try following these steps:

Reset the router by pressing the reset button on the back and holding it for around 10-15 seconds.

You should see the lights on the front of the router go off briefly.

Wait about a minute for the router to restart.

Turn off the router.

Turn off the modem.

Wait 5-10 minutes; check the cable between the router and modem is in place.

Turn on the modem.

Wait another minute or until the modem indicates it is connected.

Turn on the router.

josh11 06:29 15 Sep 07

thanks for your help I will try when I finish work today

mgmcc 08:05 15 Sep 07

<<< I ran the setup program but when I got to the stage where it tries to connect to the internet I received an error saying it couldn't connect. >>>

I usually set up a Cable/DSL router manually when configuring it to connect to Virgin's Cable service but, on the occasions that I have used the wizard on the CD, the final check that it has connected to the internet has *ALWAYS* failed. The router does, however, work properly.

Power everything off, including the Cable Modem (Set-top box) which must be left without power for three or four minutes - this is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Connect a network cable between the router's WAN port and the Cable Modem's Ethernet port. Connect a second network cable between the PC's network port and one of the Router's LAN ports. Power on the Cable Modem and, when fully booted with all lights displayed, power on the Router. When the router is fully up and running, boot the PC. The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate a different IP address to it.

If you now type the Router's IP address into your web browser you should be able to open its configuration pages to set it up.

As far as connecting to the ISP is concerned, "Cable" uses the very basic setting to connect and get its addresses by DHCP. It doesn't use PPPoE and you don't enter a Username/Password. The actual description varies from router to router so if you need further help with this setting, post back with the router's options.

dlim168 17:58 13 Oct 07

Mgmcc, please can you let me know which settings need to be placed into a D-Link DSL G604T connecting to Virgin Media cable broadband. Much appreciated. Thank you, Darren

mgmcc 20:56 13 Oct 07

You should really have started a new thread, because the original poster will get email alerts that there are new replies to his question.

The DSL G604T is a *combined* "Router & ADSL Modem" suitable for use with ADSL broadband via the phone line. It cannot be used with the Virgin Cable service for which a "Cable/DSL" router must be used. (Don't confuse the reference to DSL with models incorporating an ADSL Modem.)

simonn 21:47 15 Oct 07

Hi there,

I have a d-link dsl g624t 2+2, am i able to connect to virgin media with this router? and if so can someone please tell me how? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Simonn

mgmcc 08:16 16 Oct 07

As in my previous response, you should have started a new thread, because the original poster will get email alerts that there are new replies to his question.

To answer your query, Virgin Media provide both ADSL broadband via the phone line and Cable broadband.

The "d-link dsl g624t 2+2" is suitable for ADSL via the phone line.

The "d-link dsl g624t 2+2" is *not suitable* for Virgin's Cable broadband service.

natecbr 01:14 27 Jan 10

I have a dsl-g624t and i am connected to the internet using virgins cable broadband service why are you saying you cannot i'm on right now explain

natecbr 01:18 27 Jan 10

If you are getting message saying cannot connect simply make sure modem and router are on go into network connections diable and then enable your connection then click the repair icon this will renew your ip address and you are now connected simple..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now