d-link 704

1x11456 15:54 06 Apr 05

i have a bt voyager 105 modem isp aol platinum, d-link di-704 router,7 metres crossover cable (connected to other pc in other room) 1 patch cable..on the diagram with the router is shows to connect patch cable to modem but on the bt 105 it only has one usb con and one telephone con so i cant connect the two what can i do to connect the other pc to the internet via the router..thanks in advance
( ps the router is not the di-704p its the older version A )

JonnyTub 04:27 07 Apr 05

click here direct link to pdf setup diagram

From what i can gather you want set both pc's up so they have independant internet access. You voyager modem only has provision for a usb connection, and your router only has ethernet.
The way i would get round this is to plug both pc's into the 4 port d-link router via ethernet cable. Then I'd fit a usb to ethernet converter inbetween the router and modem, you can pick them up from click here for as little as £13.04 delivered.

BigMoFoT 11:24 07 Apr 05

I also thinky you have the wrong type of router. The router you have is for ethernet based broadband such as NTL or telewest. I know cos I made the same mistake - dlink products that contain DSL are for ADSL users, AOL BB is ADSL.

You could do what Jonny recommends but also purchasing a router with a built in ADSL modem is another option, the D-Link ones are excellent by the way...

1x11456 12:28 07 Apr 05

it looks like i have the wrong router and i will change it thanks for your info jonny tub & bigmofot much aprecated.:-)

BigMoFoT 13:01 07 Apr 05

If you get a DLINK ADSL router they have built in ADSL modems so you will not need your BT voyager one!!! :-)

1x11456 16:16 07 Apr 05

thanks for that bigmofot good to know for later

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…