D-Link 624

shaunmasterson 21:51 14 Jan 05

Can Anyone help?
I have a D-Link 624 Wireless router that insists on closing any connection that is open, then reconnecting. It does this every few minutes, it is driving me up the wall.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Shaun

jerichobob 23:35 14 Jan 05

All I can think of is uninstall and reinstall of the software, and pressing the reset button on the router - if it has got one - and see if the problem re-occurs. Check all of the physical connections - telephone line, DSL splitter, etc - and make sure that your PCI card is installed properly.

Do you still have the manuals?
Is the item still under warranty?
Does the manufacturer have a website with a troubleshooting section?

Hope this helps

Rob.

LeadingMNMs 23:40 14 Jan 05

Not sure quite what you mean here. Which connection is being closed, connection to telephone or connection to the computer ? Are you just configuring the network or is this a new problem ?

Since your using a router, I'll assume that you have at least two computers connected to it. Does the problem occur on both or just one. If its happening on both then its probably related to the router, and if its just the one then its likely to be the computer.

shaunmasterson 20:17 15 Jan 05

The connection closes like the cables are unpugged, then plugged back in again. Though they are in securely. Also closes the connection to the wireless connected 'puter.
There is practically no help on the D-link website other than a help line number; and we all know how bad they are!
I've tried the reset button that didn't help either.
I will try uninstalling and reinstalling everything, drivers, software, connections and try again.
thanks for input.

Shaun

LeadingMNMs 20:21 15 Jan 05

Can you connect to the Internet in the gaps before it disconnects ? Or is it completely dead ?

shaunmasterson 20:28 15 Jan 05

Connection lasts for about 2-5 mins then I get the cable unplugged/wireless connection message.
Shaun

LeadingMNMs 20:57 15 Jan 05

I don't know much about how routers are configured, but it could be something to do with DHCP. If this is enabled, then IP addresses are leased and so are refreshed after a certain time. On one of the computers, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" somewhere in the results they'll be a Lease-Expires property. Make a note of when it expires and see if this is when the connection drops.

shaunmasterson 12:23 16 Jan 05

Hi just tried that and the lease expires in about 5 days, not the five minutes, however in the response it said

IP Routing enabled........No
WINS proxy enabled........No

Shaun

LeadingMNMs 12:32 16 Jan 05

Control Panel > Network Connection > Right click and select 'Properties' > Scroll down to 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' > Select and Click 'Properties' > Click 'Advanced' button > Select 'WINS' tab > Ensure 'Enable NetBios over TCP/IP' is selected.

Not sure if thats related, but its to do with WINS and mine is enabled.

fitcher 12:39 16 Jan 05

I have a problem with my wireless connection dropping now and again ,I switch the modem off and back on and it is ok ,,I wonder if it becomes magnetised after long use ,or the wife has switched the sky tv over, or used the micro wave . we have these problems with wireless,I think it is a case of grin and bare it .wireless is not perfect yet ,cheers

shaunmasterson 17:21 17 Jan 05

I think that the router is crap, just looked on some other forums and reviews and there are many people with the same piece of kit, and the same problem, many worse than mine (one person had it rebooting twice a minute!!).

I think I will just have to stay off XBox live and Counter Strike: Source till I have saved up and purchased a new wireless router.

Any suggestions??

Shaun

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…