D-Link 604T setup question

IPA 09:08 21 Jan 06

I have a D-Link 604T router working ok between my laptop and desktop , both pc’s running xp sp2. Desktop wired to router and laptop wireless with printer sharing.

When I open “view wireless networks” my home network is listed as connected , security enabled wpa. Underneath that there is another entry which says” G604T wireless .unsecured wireless network”.

I am not sure what this second entry is all about ,perhaps someone could let me know the reason. As you can tell I am still trying to get to grips with wireless networking and want to make sure that I haven’t done something daft during the setup.

mgmcc 11:55 21 Jan 06

It is possible that a neighbour has the same router and is running an unsecured wireless network? Simple test - power off your router and see if the second wireless network is still there.

IPA 12:19 21 Jan 06

Yes it it still there under "choose a wireless network" and it was listed as "connected" until I powered up the router again.Now it just says automatic and asks to connect.

Must be something in my setup?

mgmcc 17:15 21 Jan 06

Someone else is running an unsecured wireless network with a strong enough signal for you to be able to pick it up and connect to it. As far as I know there is no way for you to prevent this, because your software is designed to scan for "Available Wireless Networks" so that you can select the appropriate one to connect to.

You just need to ensure that it is your own wireless network that you connect to.

De Marcus™ 17:21 21 Jan 06

To make sure your connecting to you own network you can change the order of preferred networks via the wireless network connection properties, click on the wireless networks tab and adjust to suit. You can also disable automatic connection if you like by clicking on the properties button whilst the network in question is selected (highlighted), and clicking on the connection tab.

De Marcus™ 17:22 21 Jan 06

Sorry the above is relevant if windows is in charge of your connection.

IPA 17:24 21 Jan 06

Thanks for the help. S

IPA 18:04 21 Jan 06

The graphic wireless display roundel built into my Toshiba laptop shows no other wireless devices in the area. So I really don't know ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…