D drives Now my E drive, and i liked it as it was!

Dearersteak 19:18 19 Feb 03

I just put in a new (Well, old hard drive). My C drive is still the C drive, But the new hard drive has taken the letter D which was my CDRW drive, which has now become my E drive.

I Would like to change them back so my CDRW is my D drive again and the hard drive is the E drive.

Any idears?

bvw in bristol 19:25 19 Feb 03
  Dearersteak 19:27 19 Feb 03

win 98

jazzypop 19:28 19 Feb 03

To do this in W95, W98 or WinME requires some serious registry hacking. They are all designed to allocate letters to hard drives first, followed by CD drives.

It is quite simple in W2K or XP, as the previous link explians.

Dearersteak 19:34 19 Feb 03

sorry, but thats link dos'nt work! is it just me?

Stuartli 19:37 19 Feb 03

It's very simple in 98 as well.

Go to Device Manager, CDROM drive(s), highlight and then click Properties.

In Settings alter the drive letter to what you require it to be for that drive (both sections need to be the same).

Then, if you have a rewriter etc, go back and repeat the process for that drive after highlighting it.

Usually a CD/DVD-ROM drive is D and a rewriter E - it's the same method for the rewriter, but in this case obviously both letters are set as E.

jazzypop 19:39 19 Feb 03

It works fine for me, but as it turns out, it is not relevant to you (it is for XP only).

Obviously, as you had not stated in your original post which version of Windows you are using, bvw in bristol had to make a guess :)

Stuartli 21:54 19 Feb 03

Is it sorted?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…