D DRIVE NOT BEEN RECOGNISED

carlisle 19:31 30 Dec 03

I have a new 60GB Hard disk to put in

Before doing this i have downloaded a copy of the windows 98 boot desk and then copied it onto floppy. Before actually taking out my old hard drive i restarted my computer with the floppy and operating system disk in, the prompt a: comes up, when i type in d: i get the message drive not recognised

Any help or suggestions appreciated

spikeychris 19:35 30 Dec 03

Do you have a D:/drive at the moment?

LeadingMNMs 19:35 30 Dec 03

So you want to install 98 on the new drive ? Do you know if your motherboard supports the CD drive ? If not then you'll have to install a driver for the drive before DOS will recognise it - I think.

carlisle 19:40 30 Dec 03

yes i have a d drive as about a year ago i had no problems replacing another smaller hard drive

LeadingMNMs 19:42 30 Dec 03

Have you tried booting up with the old HDD is master and the larger one as slave ? Do you see the drive in My Computer ?

carlisle 19:45 30 Dec 03

yes the drive is 'my computer', haven;t tried booting up with new hard drive as slave

Could it be anything to do with the boot disk at all not containing a relevant file??

LeadingMNMs 19:47 30 Dec 03

What exactly are you trying to do ? If your using the smaller drive for 98, what is the second drive for ?

carlisle 19:52 30 Dec 03

My intention is to put the 60 gig into my computer and take the 20 gig (currently in)out, put this into one of my relatives computer which only has either a 6 or 8 gig

LeadingMNMs 19:58 30 Dec 03

Are you booting with the smaller drive in the computer or removed ? I would suggest that it is removed since the boot disk is likely to try and boot from it. I downloaded a boot disk to install 98 and they were hopeless, they just didn't seem to do anything.

Just thought of this. Try restarting in MS-DOS Mode, from there see if you can access the CD.

carlisle 19:59 30 Dec 03

thanks - up and running excellent

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…