D disc used for recovery

johncb 15:41 21 Jan 10

I purchased a new laptop in July 09
Have been very pleased with same but like an idiot started to use D disc for recovery points
I soon realised that I had made a mistake when the drive filled quickly

I have tried to open the D drive via 'computer' to save relevant files to C disc, but cannot proceed any further with the list displayed nor see how to do this action in any case

If I cannot copy or move files to the C drive should I go ahead and format D drive anyway? Naturally I have been reluctant to carry out the latter at this stage

Pamy 16:15 21 Jan 10

What is D drive? a separate drive, I do not think so in a laptop so it must be partitioned as C & D. I would think that D holds your recovery data if you ever neaded to set it back to how it was when you bought it, so, I would be carefull what you delete and would certainly not format it

Batch 16:46 21 Jan 10

What software have you been using to create these "recovery points"?

mooly 17:46 21 Jan 10

Windows normally stores restore points on the C drive with the OS.

Some laptops come with their own recovery and ackup utility (nothing to do with windows) and use the D partition to store these on.

I use the D partition along with Acronis to store running full image backups etc... I don't like restore points lol

johncb 18:14 21 Jan 10

Thanks Pamy, Batch and Mooly for your replies

By D drive I meant D disc
Presume OS is online support?
Have used Windows to create recovery points and it asks where to place them -hence my initial mistake in putting D instead of C disc

mooly 08:03 22 Jan 10

Your HDD in a laptop (normally these is just one) is partitioned into two (or more) sections.
Each behaves just like a separate HDD.
This although about LINUX explains it rather well,
click here

OS is the operating system (Windows Vista/7/XP etc)

Purchased July... so you have Vista ?
Windows system restore (well as far as I know... and in the PC's I have seen) always stores restore points on the C partition along with the OS. They are an integral part of the OS system as a whole.
This is Windows system restore...
click here

when you install Vista etc they are turned on by default and store the data on the C partition... doesn't ask where you want to store it ;)

I'm really puzzled with you saying that...

johncb 09:52 22 Jan 10

Thanks again mooly
I have had a quick look at Linux - looks very comprehensive so will study at length

OS - I am on Vista as you surmise and looked at my system restore -I could not see 'choose' where to place new system restore (as I have seen before) so again I will study that mystery
Will let you know if I am able to solve same as I am puzzled now!

mooly 13:05 22 Jan 10

Do you know how to delete old restore points ?
click here

It would be interesting for you to do this twice, once for the C drive and once for the D and make a note of free space before and after.

mooly 13:12 22 Jan 10

This will really confuse you now, only mentioning it because it did actually happen,

click here

A while after all this I went down the clean install route for Vista and the "anomaly" dissapeared.
I asked on other forums too and no one could believe it actually behaved like this.
I put i down to a glitch or bug in the upgrade procedure... and as I say a clean install corrected it.

johncb 16:09 22 Jan 10

Hi moody
No I did not know how to delete restore points

I have cleaned up restore points as you suggested

Interesting C was 81.1Gb free before and 95.6 after cleaning
Now the mystery D 1.48 free before cleaning and virtually the same after. I repeated the action and the same result came up

I looked at D properties and read the following
Components 31,204
System 12,568
Software 29,264
Recovery no data but warning not too delete restore files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced