"Cybersquatting" Email, - Junk, or a Threat?

thegreypanther 20:21 07 Jun 10

I have just received an email from "Emily" [email protected]> saying that a Mr John Wang wants to register a series of domain names with the suffix such as .cn /.com.cn /.net.cn/.hk/.asia/.
The prefix would be my own domain name (.com).

I am invited to respond within 5 working days should I have any objection. The email concludes by saying "As authorized anti-cybersquatting organization we hereby suspect Mr. John Wang is a domain investor. so we need you to attach importance to this issue.
In order to handle this issue better, Please contact us by Fax ,Telephone or Email as soon as possible. "

My own instinct is to leave well alone.

But is anybody aware that this could be a genuine outfit, and a genuine request? And if so, is it likely that a bundle of .cn /.com.cn /.net.cn/.hk/.asia/ domain names could pose any sort of threat?

wiz-king 20:36 07 Jun 10

I get lots of these - they want you to pay to register these addresses. If you dont respond would it matter if another website uses the same name? I have a .com website and there is a .co.uk of the same name and there has never been confusion between us.

T I M B O 20:42 07 Jun 10

Sounds too close to Mr John Wayne to me to take seriously. Id prolly treat it as spam

Big L 266 21:02 07 Jun 10

Hello.

Ever curious about the world in which we live,I found your website had a Chinese address. It has an interesting website in English with two Chinese addresses and a couple of phone and fax numbers.

Even more curious is the fact this website is based in Orange, California. I pinged the website name which got me the IP number and the IP number led me to Orange, California, USA. The IP number is 174.139.75.219 and my McAfee Site Advisor Plus stayed green instead of the red or orange I assumed it would be.

I have no idea if its a genuine firm or not. I can't find where the country in the web address is i.e.dommainasia.cc either. The fact that its in the USA has intrigued me.

Can anyone shed any further light on this for emnic?

Big L 266

lotvic 00:26 08 Jun 10

send it to firetrusts page of them click here so they can add it to the list of similar ones to warn others of the scam

lotvic 00:30 08 Jun 10

did you ask the same question on Yahoo click here if not then it's an identical scam email someone else got.

thegreypanther 08:58 08 Jun 10

Thanks lotvic.

Clearly this IS a scam of some sort or other, and I will be ignoring it. If only the people operating scams put as much energy into doing some useful work instead!

I just hope that other people can be made aware that such emails are relatively commonplace and should be ignored.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac