Cyberscrub program has knacked my computer

balveda 12:43 20 Oct 03

Hi, any guru's out there got any idea's?
I installed cyberscrub version 3 on my Xp computer, Installation was ok and my computer was ok, I selected the option to run the program to delete previously " deleted " files, after which nothing seemed to work, I tried to go to a restore point, and recieved a file not found message relating to an image. I uninstalled cyberscrub, still no joy, so I rebooted, got a disk read error, so had to run recovery disk, now all I get is a message saying that there is not enough memory space to run the recovery! What has this crap done to my pc and what can I do?
It's name and shame time too, I bought this software from QVC, I phoned them and it was suggested I write or email, I sent off an email and got a reply that it would be passed to the software company for help, that was two weeks ago now. Since then I have emailed and received no reply whatsoever. I can't believe this is happening, what rights do we have when software wreaks this kind of havoc? I would think very seriously about buying software through this means as they just are'nt interested it would seem in customer problems, I personally will never use them again, they portray their computing world as a cosy reliable little dream world where everything works and that you can trust them to provide good quality. Reality sucks!

hugh-265156 13:13 20 Oct 03

if its click here i have not tried it.

like most of these programs you need to read instructions very carefully before using it.

if you just run it without knowing what you are doing then at the end of the day its your fault im afraid.

hugh-265156 13:36 20 Oct 03

sorry if my last wasnt very helpful.just read up on the help etc and it looks as if a reinstall of windows is called for.

when you say not enough memory to run recovery is this the recovery floppy and master discs or hidden partition or is it a full copy of xp?

can you give any exact errors and some info on your computer model etc please?

balveda 13:52 20 Oct 03

Hi Huggy, Here's the lowdown on my computer.
Windows Xp home, Pentium 4 2700Mhz, I've got 163.92 Gb of usuable hard drive capacity and 152.13 Gb of free space, the drive is partitioned 50/50, the recovery cdroms contain a full working copy of Xp, the RAM is 1.5Gb. These figures are from an old computer profile summary, so obviously the free space figure is incorrect, any help you can offer is appreciated as it looks as though I'm on my own on this one, I have now contacted Cyberscrubs online customer support so we'll see what they offer in the way of help, not holding my breath though.

balveda 13:55 20 Oct 03

Oh just remembered , the original error when I tried the restore point was " requested image dll not found" I think thats right.
The disk error says just that and offers the choice of retry cancel or abort, I first noticed I was in trouble when windows media programs did not work thus prompting the actions I have mentioned.

hugh-265156 14:02 20 Oct 03

im not sure about the not enough memory error with the windows disc,cant find any info.do you get this error when you boot with the disc,is that what you are saying?

is it xp retail or oem recovery discs?

if oem what make of computer?

balveda 14:05 20 Oct 03

I get the memory error when I try to boot from disc(OEM) the computer is a Sony PCV-RXG408, If I try to boot from the drive I get the disk operating error.

hugh-265156 14:10 20 Oct 03

if it was me,and you are quite sure you dont have any hidden partitions then grab a windows 98se oem boot disc click here

boot with it(it will work ok with xp)and type

format/c: /q to do a quick format of the windows partition.

then give it a name (HDD is a good choice)

then set up your cd drive in the bios to be the first boot device and boot from the windows disc.

a good guide on installing windows click here

hugh-265156 14:25 20 Oct 03

hang on!!.its a sony you say.

i would be cautious in formating the drive as above(you may have a hidden partition)

wait untill somebody more knowledgeable gives advice on this.

i checked sonys website click here and cant find any listing of PCV-RXG408?? and very little info on recovery software.

i would maybe contact them for advice on this.

balveda 14:41 20 Oct 03

Thanks huggy,

balveda 16:03 20 Oct 03

Stop press, after changing absolutely nothing my pc has just decided it will run the recovery cd after all, I just have and the good news is all is well, still got my stuff stored on d drive to boot, still I've been put off qvc for life and I think I'll just go for the money back option on cyberscrub - just to be on the safe side.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5