CWShredder

Cesare 15:55 05 Jan 07

Seems to find CWS:Ottask and removes it but I finds it again the next day. Google does not give me any info on this malware.Search Forum also is negative. Anyone know what it is please.

James. 16:04 05 Jan 07

Did you switch of System Restore before allowing CWShredder to remove the offending application. Usually a scenario like this indicates that a copy resides in System Restore and re-infects after a reboot.

Usual caveats regarding losing all restore point are applicable.

Cesare 16:13 05 Jan 07

James...Will do it the next time. Thanks.

PaulB2005 17:04 05 Jan 07

Did you switch of System Restore before allowing CWShredder to remove the offending application. Usually a scenario like this indicates that a copy resides in System Restore and re-infects after a reboot.

RUBBISH!! The SR Folder is protected by Windows from changes and viruses cannot just wander in and out of it in this manner.

CWS is very out of date now - last update was November 2005. This means it might be detecting an infection but not able to remove all parts of it. Secondly another virus might reinstalling the infection once it removed by CWS.

I would use something more up to date like Kaspersky Online Scan click here and then get a better AV like NOD32.

James. 17:20 05 Jan 07

You are of course entitiled to your opinion, but I find your comments rude and offensive. I have tried to offer advice to a fellow forum memeber to the best of my knowledge and ability.

The solution I offered has been recommended on this forum before, and I have indeed needed to use it myself to clear a persistent problem of re-infection.

James. 17:25 05 Jan 07

I also suggest you read this

click here=

PaulB2005 17:29 05 Jan 07

If your advice is wrong then it is of no use. I corrected your assertion that viruses can just reinfect from the SR folder. They can't. Not opinion - fact.

The fact that the solution of flushing the SR folder has been suggested here before makes it no more valid than the Urban Myths that arrive in my mail box every week.

That viruses re-infect systems from the SR folder is wrong. The SR folder is protected by Windows from changes into it and files only come out when instructed to do so.

Finally to recommend an anti-Malware that is over 12 months old is also irresponsible.

surfmonkey #:@}© 17:35 05 Jan 07

Cesare
just out of interest do you mean

Seems to find CWS:Ottask
or
Seems to find CWS:Qttask
O or Q

VoG II 18:36 05 Jan 07

The only reason to turn off System Restore is if a virus is inside a restore point. Even then the virus can't 'escape' unless you restore to that point.

The advice on malware removal sites is NOT to turn off System Restore - it is always better to have a working restore point even if it is infected than to have no option to restore.

VoG II 18:37 05 Jan 07

PS

QTTASK is QuickTime - it could be a false positive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…