C:WINDOWS/TEMP 20GB?

collinsc 11:14 01 Mar 08

Hi

My C:WINDOWS/TEMP is 20GB, im not sure why. What is stored in here? plase note it isnt c:temp, so im guessing its not temporary internet files?

it has files like:
sxs temp, edatasecurity, intelchip, MPtelemetrysubmit, byed799.tmp, -mst, and lots of SQM files.

Can i delete these!?

thanks

MAJ 11:24 01 Mar 08

20GB? Are you sure? As far as I was aware C:WINDOWS/TEMP contain temporary files that are still in use, so you shouldn't be able to delete them without Windows giving a warning that they are still in use. SQM files are Windows Live Messenger log files.

chub_tor 11:25 01 Mar 08

Let windows decide if all these files can be deleted, right click on your c; drive and select Properties, General, Disk Cleanup and I think that you will find all the .tmp files etc will go. Incidentally an explanation for the SQM files is as follows.....

SQM files

Have you wondered what those SQM files are in the root of your C drive? I spotted a whole raft of them, with names like sqmnoopt00.sqm . A quick web search showed that these are Service Quality Monitor files generated by the new Windows Live Messenger program. Some suggested they were generated when you chose to enrol in the Customer Experience Improvement Program, which would be fine except that on my test machine I'd deliberately switched this off. Nevertheless, I've deleted the files and will be keeping an eye on them.

MAJ 11:29 01 Mar 08

To be on the safe side, I would run scans with your uptodate antivirus and anti-spyware software, asap.

Gongoozler 11:30 01 Mar 08

There should be nothing important in C:WINDOWS/TEMP. Quite often installation programs don't clean up TEMP files when they have finished. Run either Windows own cleanup or for a really thorough cleanup use Ccleaner click here.

collinsc 13:22 01 Mar 08

have done the standard diskcleanup - it hasnt removed them... cheers

chub_tor 16:11 01 Mar 08

Then do as Gongoozler suggests and download CCleaner

collinsc 16:20 01 Mar 08

Well ive downloaded it, but im nervous to use it in case it wipes off files required by the laptop, so do i take the plunge!?

collinsc 16:23 01 Mar 08

and it will only clean off 22MB- which isnt bad.! but its not a great deal compared to the 20GB in the folder i mentioned.

ACOLYTE 16:24 01 Mar 08

I have used ccleaner for a long time and have yet to find it delete things that are actually needed to run the pc,or cause problems after a cleanup with the pc.
Just leave it with the standard options and don't mess with the advanced stuff and you should be fine.

ACOLYTE 16:25 01 Mar 08

Have you tried turning off system restore and then back on again? this can free up quite a bit of space,but it also deletes the restore points so make sure your pc is running ok before you decide on that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now