Cut off problems upgrading/installing WindowsXP Se

nutcrusher 08:07 19 Nov 03

Having recently purchased a HP New Pavilion Laptop the priority was to install the security patches and upgrades. Whilst attempting to carry this out “irregular modem cut-offs occurred”. As I have had no problems upgrading WindowsSE with another computer using the same ‘phone connection and HP cannot find a fault with the modem has anyone experienced similar problems with Microsoft (or HP) and what is the solution please?
How can I prove the Modem is faulty?

Diodorus Siculus 08:13 19 Nov 03

Try another modem and if it works, then you will know that there is a setup problem (at least) on the original.

PCMCIA modems are fairly reasonably priced nowadays - it might be worthwhile trying one. Otherwise a serial / usb modem can be picked up easily enough.

Diodorus Siculus 08:51 19 Nov 03

Dear Diodorus,
Thanks your prompt reply.
The Laptop Modem is built into the mainboard and cannot be replaced without changing the whole unit.
I have a Genius external modem that works well on another computer but the idea of a laptop is not to have too many wires about the place.
However, your excellent idea will prove whether HP or Microsoft are at fault. Many thanks.

I realise that it is built in; but a PCMCIA modem will have no more wires than the built in modem.

Anyway, give the external a go and post back here (it is better via the board than via email because that way everyone can follow).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…