To cut a long story Short for My XP Problem

Expat 1 20:56 14 Sep 06

Living in Spain. Bought Desktop Comp. with Spanish XP Installed January 2004. Could'nt get on with it, Bought XP home in England on a flying visit (Excuse pun) April 04. Installed OK. Only change is downloaded SP2 and installed.
Now need to do a repair. On inserting the disk I bought in UK to do a repair, message comes up that my version of Installed XP is newer than the one on the disk, that I installed it with in the first place. Anyone have any idea why this is please? Surely installing SP2 has not made my XP disk obsolete has It ?
Expat1

Jackcoms 21:00 14 Sep 06

"Surely installing SP2 has not made my XP disk obsolete has It ?"

No, it hasn't.

But you don't say what you did with the installed Spanish version.

bruno 21:03 14 Sep 06

At a guess I would say it is because your installation has SP2 ,therefore it is newer than your disc.Did you make a copy of SP2.I have had this comment(from the PC) with other programmes that have been updated.Also you have probably been downloading the Windows updates which would make it "newer".

VoG II 21:04 14 Sep 06

Are you following this procedure for the repair click here - if so you should not get this message.

Expat 1 21:05 14 Sep 06

Just Installed the Uk version over the top of it with no problems then or since. All Windows updates download and install OK.

Expat 1 21:23 14 Sep 06

bruno. At a guess I would say it is because your installation has SP2 ,therefore it is newer.

Thats the what I am thinking. but I do not have a copy of XP2. or all the updates.

VoG™. have saved your copy here suggestion. But as I said to bruno No copies of XP2 or updates so that negates me from using that I think.

I think I remember reading somewhere that SP2 is no longer a stand alone download ?

The old grey matter just aint what it used to be.

squillary 22:54 14 Sep 06

SP2 is a standalone download - or at least it was last month. The procedure for merging it with your current I386 folder is particularly convoluted. I'm halfway through the process and have lost my bottle about completing it until I can back everything up.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…