Cut hiss on voice recording

algernonymous 20:29 27 Jul 07

I've just started attempting to record onto PC, and am currently using a microphone to add narration to a Windows Movie Maker project, however I seem to get a lot of noise on playback. (of the vocal part)
Is there a way of reducing this?

Thanks.

SANTOS7 20:31 27 Jul 07

Wind shield, the big black thing ya see on top of mics sometimes.

click here

algernonymous 20:37 27 Jul 07

Isn't there a way of filtering it out?

octal 20:40 27 Jul 07

It depends on what sort of noise it is. If it's a hissing sound then there might not be enough mic gain to overcome the electronic noise, if it's background noise then speak closer to the mic and turn the gain down a bit, a cardioid microphone will help.

octal 20:42 27 Jul 07

I've just notice the title of the thread says hiss, so my first reply about increasing the mic gain would be the answer.

algernonymous 20:50 27 Jul 07

Is there any recommended freeware that would provide more audio control or should the windows software suffice?

octal 20:57 27 Jul 07

The windows software should be enough I would have thought, what type of microphone are you using?

algernonymous 21:18 27 Jul 07

This 'un-

click here

(cost £6)

octal 21:35 27 Jul 07

I think that mic should be OK. A little test, do you get any hiss when you record with the microphone unplugged? It may be a problem with the microphone.

algernonymous 21:53 27 Jul 07

Right. Thing is, this laptop's got a built-in mic, I found using it was difficult to get a 'loud' recording.
Just tried the Trust mic, there was a quiet but noticable buzz when I plugged it in, I then let it record silence for 10 seconds. The buzz was louder on playback.

octal 22:27 27 Jul 07

Now you mention a buzz, there is a difference between a buzz and a hiss, does it sound like this? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5